dirty fireplace bricks

I have an old fireplace (gas log insert) and the bricks around it are rather dirty. Tried to clean with a bristle brush and soapy water but did not have much success. Any suggestions how to clean same. thanks, Monika

This question was posed here on 1-6-07. Here are portions of the best responses:
1. Rutland makes some good products for this ... http://www.nextag.com/Rutland--2700400/stone-fireplace/brand-html
2. We use a product called Aquamix which we bought at Lowes. It is for deep cleaning of stone or porous(sp) surfaces.
3. On page 245 of their book "Home Maintenance for Dummies" (ISBN 0-7645-5215-5) the Carey brothers recommend the Advanage cleaning products (note the spelling) from www.advanage.com.
________________________ Whatever it takes.
Thank you for the response. I shall go to Lowes today and try the aquamix. Monika

I know that the fan is supposed to turn one way for cold weather and the opposite way for warm weather. Which way should it go to kick the warm air that has risen back down again--clockwise or counterclockwise?
janerene wrote:

above or below, don't they? Anyway, this is not the forum for those terms because some readers are in the UK, where they drive on the wrong side because their clocks run backward. (They'll get a lot more tourist dollars when they make Big Ben digital like Time Square.)
In summer people may get the best draft if you blow down. If your fan is near the ceiling, that also the best way to distribute heat in winter. However, people below the fan might find the draft chilly.
So you try blowing up in winter. People in the middle of the room will feel much less draft, but the hot air may never get to the floor.
If the fan is several feet below the ceiling, blowing up may distribute heat more efficiently. If the fan is several feet above the people, blowing down may be okay. If the people are near the walls, blowing down may be okay. If you live in Oz, substitute down where I said up and up where I said down. (I know that's only common sense, but I've found that people outside America sometimes lack common sense.)
Denominator wrote:

Blow me! We have a troll. FWIW My fan is out of use in winter, if I put it on, up or down, it causes a conflict with my warm air heating.
I hope you weren't referring to ME as a troll. I learned about the ceiling fan direction at one time but forgot which way it was. We have 20 foot ceilings. Heat rises. To get the heat to come back down to where the people are, the warm air has to be recirculated DOWN. In our last house we had lower ceilings but the fans still had a button to go either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on the season. It has nothing to do with living in the US, the UK or down under in Australia. I'll google my answer elsewhere I guess. Jane

I'll google my answer elsewhere I guess. Jane
I'm sorry that you felt (were made to feel) this way!!! I was awaiting an answer along with you. Lady Boot
LadyBoot wrote:

Are you both quite mad? Do read the posts again and unless you have the brain of a gnat you will see my troll comments were directed at Denominator. Having said that, he/she, did make sound comment in his/her post but spoiled it with a few easily spotted trolls aimed at people outside of America. This thread reminds me that I haven't dusted the fans today, despite doing all my polishing earlier.
Mrs Bonk wrote:

You were right the first time: trolls. If "Lady Boot" were really in Boot Camp she wouldn't have usenet access. She's probably trying to start a flame war between the Marines and the less professional services like the Rangers. Which side would Nan be on? A flame war is a terrible thing once it gets started. Thanks for snuffing this one out with your timely warning.

I don't understand how I might have become a troll...and I have nothing to do with boot camp. Perhaps I have posted here before, but really don't recall that being the case. What a welcome for an honest question!
...in my part of the world, boots are the shoe of choice...looks like someone was being ugly...I just wanted to know about the fan setting.

it's not you, it's alt.home.cleaning. some participants use toxic substances & inhale too deeply. <g> kylie

replaced with one made after my makeover, which is scheduled for October.
When you say boots are the shoe of choice I assume you are alluding to Denominator's posts, which some find "too deep." The ahc guidelines encourage the superficial, but Denominator represents a major corporate sponsor whose name they have asked us never to mention in connection with this group.
Marcia Pease wrote:

Clarks?
Denominator wrote:

Nan is not biting, she is far too good for you!
Mrs Bonk wrote:

much to reply in kind.
janerene wrote:

I wasn't the one who called you a troll. Google would probably give you only a general answer, but I included the answer for your specific case, 20-foot ceilings. With a low ceiling, blowing down would mix air most efficiently if the draft isn't a problem. With a high ceiling, the hot air would remain above the fan. Blowing up will mix the air in winter and you won't have to worry about drafts.
I thought Mrs. Bonk was too hasty in calling you a troll, but now I see that in your original post you attempted to make fools of us all by failing to disclose that your ceilings are unusually high, and now you have denigrated my perspicacious advice. Hats off to Mrs. Bonk, down there on her knees with a well-wrong cloth.

Hello Monika;
I would use silicon carbide sandpaper. First 100 grit, then 600 or even 1500 grit to remove the scratches. Hope this helps. Take care, spike
--
In a heartbeat, you can go from a happy healthy small business owner
to homeless and disabled, at the hands of the Government. See for