Copper and Other Metals

I'm about to re-roof my house, and I'm going to be using some copper metalwork (eave drip, valleys, etc.). I'd like to know two things: 1. Are there any other metals that don't mix with copper (Can I use galvanized roofing nails)? 2. What is the most common way to clean and/or polish copper (This will need to be done every year or two)?
Thanks, -John
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:59:20 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

Mix? The copper will eventually oxidize (corrode) to a green patina. The galvanized nails are fine.

Vinegar and table salt will polish copper. You best bet is to stay off your roof to maximize the life of it.

need
I don't think people polish their copper roofing.

I think you're supposed to use brass nails, but galvanized probably OK too.

Well, some of the trophy houses around here keep their copper trim polished -- though I seriously doubt they DIY.<GG>
Cheers -- Pete Tillman Tucson
On Fri, 18 Feb 2005 13:59:20 GMT, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"
wrote:

Normally, if you do not want any oxidation, it's a patina and usually desirable, you could seal it with a lacquer or polyurethane, or some such. Could be sprayed on easily when needed to in the future.
--
Rick R
take away all the spam to e-mail