Cleaning tarnish from bronze

I have a few small antique items made of bronze with sterling accents. They were very tarnished so I tried silver polish on them, which cleaned up the sterling parts really well. There are still stains on the bronze part.

What should I use on the bronze? The brass polish I have doesn't list bronze as a metal it will clean, plus I don't want to damage the silver.

TIA, Anny

Reply to
Anny Middon

Often, tarnished bronze is considered more attractive than shiny bronze. Tarnish protects bronze.

Salt and vinegar or salt and lemon juice will remove tarnish from bronze. It can be applied directly, made into a paste with flour, or added to water in which the object is boiled. Then the object must be thoroughly rinsed and dried because chlorides rot bronze.

I don't know if the presence of silver would cause a problem.

Reply to
Choreboy