Cleaning old hardwood floors

I recently bought a turn-of-the-century house with hardwood floors. They are weathered in places and I am considering refinishing them very soon. In the meantime, what is the best way to clean them? I am not sure what kind of finish they have/had or how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Alex Z.

Reply to
Alex Z.

we sweep first then we mop with murphy's oil soap a couple two three times (or til the water stops looking nasty) and then use a dilution of lemon oil in hot water to keep ours clean & give a little finish. good luck.

Reply to
Someone