Cleaning old hardwood floors

I recently bought a turn-of-the-century house with hardwood floors. They are weathered in places and I am considering refinishing them very soon. In the meantime, what is the best way to clean them? I am not sure what kind of finish they have/had or how to proceed. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance,
Alex Z.
Alex Z. wrote:

times (or til the water stops looking nasty) and then use a dilution of lemon oil in hot water to keep ours clean & give a little finish. good luck.