cleaning linoleum countertops

Usually I use the same rag I just washed the dishes with after I rang all the dish soap out of it, but it seems there is probably a better way. They look and feel clean after I'm done but I would like to hear how some other people do it. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Do you really mean linoleum countertops? Haven't heard of anyone having those in years. When I was a kid in the 1950s we moved to a house that had a kitchen with "battleship linoleum" covering the floor, walls, and kitchen counters. I remember my parents using a wax stripping solution to get down to the real surface of the linoleum, then using paste wax to thoroughly seal and polish it. This was repeated on the walls one a year, on the floor about every 3 months, and on the counter about once a month. Daily cleaning of the counter was the same as you have done, with a somewhat soapy dishrag followed by a clear rinse and drying. It was always spotless. Of course, back then it was really soap in the rag and not detergent.
Wayne
You are right, I meant to write formica instead of linoleum. Now that's cleared up, what do you think? Thanks again.

I have painted Formica countertops with great success. Sand lightly, paint with two coats of good undercoat paint- tinted the color you want. I use satin finish. I have also covered them with contact paper-in a rent house where I couldn't do anything permanent with them.
I have also had great success. I use a primer which bonds to the laminate then tint (if desired) then a few coats of polyurathayne for a durable surface. If you can faux finish your results can be incredible.