Cleaning an Iron?

Daughter-unit Beta, in a move of independence, put together a craft whereby she needed my iron to help meld its pieces together. I'm fine with that, especially since she /attempted/ to do it right by following most of the instructions...
Unfortunately, two things caused a problem: 1) not resetting the temperature dial to a moderate heat, and 2) using wax paper instead of parchment as an insulator. The high heat setting did indeed melt the beads together. Right through the wax paper onto the bottom of my iron.
It's a stainless steel bottom iron with steam vents along the top "v." There is now a 3" patch of wax paper infused onto it -- between the steam vents -- that I'd rather not have to scrape off.
Other ideas to remove this gunk?
The Ranger
--
"Grits are akin to Elmer Paste with less flavor and more sand."

You can go to Walmart and get some over in the cleaning section near the starch, clothes washing detergent. They are 2 in a pack made by Faultless (the same people who make starch).
I bought some by Dritz at Joann's/Cloth World. If you have a Hancock Fabrics, they probably carry it.
YOu apply it with an old piece of towel or cloth to a hot iron. It REALLY works.

whereby
temperature
There
vents --