A little OT: Cleaning granite headstone

My mother's headstone has some tiny dark flecks in the area that was engraved. The engraved area is lighter in color and not polished to a high sheen like the rest of the stone.
It's 17 years old, so it does need a cleaning, but I don't want to use something that will damage or discolor the stone.
Any input is greatly appreciated!
Nan

Hey Nan. I don't know how to clean a headstone, but I have granite countertops. I use Soft Scrub on tough spots. Just be sure to rinse. I also want to say that I'm sorry about your mom. I lost mine 34 years ago and sometimes it hurts like it was yesterday.
peggo

Thanks peggo, I'm sorry about your mom, too.
Nan

Thanks.
peggo

I'm sorry [and awed] to hear this. I gather you two had a wonderful relationship?
My mother and I were strangers. Her death didn't affect me much. I do remember thinking, "This is supposed to hurt!" Somehow, I resented the fact that it was painless.
I'm certain your mother would not want you to hurt so badly--but I suspect she would understand. Peace be with you.
_________________________ Some trees are ever green.

My father-unit's and Sainted Mother's headstones are polished stone, too. The cemetery's caretaker suggested a drop of mild soap and cup water scrubbed with a soft-bristle toothbrush would erase the years and city grime from the recessed letters.
We perform this service every few years.
The Ranger
On Thu, 14 Jun 2007 06:43:34 -0700, "The Ranger"

Thanks Ranger. This almost looks like "bug dirt" or those specks that seem to show up on my vinyl-sided shed. A toothbrush should help scrub it off just fine.
Nan

We used a plastic-bristle brush and warm soapy water in a spray bottle to clean Mom's headstone (7 years) and Dad's headstone (18 years), then rinse with clear water. Avoid anything acidic.

Thanks Phish, don't know why I didn't think of yours and Ranger's suggestions!
Nan

After several scrubbing and rinsing sessions, I've realized the discoloration is due to mildew. It looks a lot better than it did and I still need to use more elbow grease, but the mild dish soap in a spray bottle of water and toothbrush seem to be doing the trick.
Nan
Nan wrote:

try using linsseed oil when i use to build fireplaces that is what i used to clean the slate or marble used for the hearths it also brings out the original colour george

Thanks for the idea, George. I might give that a try!
Nan