Cleaning a granite kitchen sink

What cleaning agents / methods are best to remove scale marks? We're in a hard water area unfortunately and the look of what was an expensive sink is being tarnished by these. Thanks.

Reply to
aa

Ummm.....fit a water softener?

Might save you money in the long run, perhaps in the short to middle term.

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David.WE.Roberts

Thanks, something I am considering, but other than fitting a softener, anyone any ideas?

Reply to
aa

Well obviously you need a mild acid. Maybe vinegar? WD40 takes scale off. Dunno what it tastes like!

Reply to
harryagain

+1 for vinegar. I wipe our stainless steel sink once a month or so. I'm assuming granite doesn't react to acids
Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks Harry / Stuart, will give vinegar a try. Looks like baby oil could be a solution too..

aa

Any oil will make it *look* better for a while because light reflects off its surface. You would probably end up with a sticky mess though as mineral oil doesn't ever dry. Vinegar does a great job very quickly if the haze is caused by hard water, but often it's the residue from Jif type cleaners

Reply to
stuart noble

Thanks Stuart. Malt vinegar best or some other type?

Reply to
aa

White has less smell IIRC

Reply to
stuart noble

Agreed, how about starting again with stainless?

Reply to
Capitol

In article , aa writes

I'm guessing it's actually a stone filled resin such as Corian rather than actual granite which could change things a bit.

See the care table on page 7 of this doc (640kB pdf):

fred

Better and probably cheaper than vinegar is citric acid, you can buy boxes of citric acid powder from Wilkinsons for a quid or two in the cleaning meterials section.

Reply to
Gordon Freeman

Thanks all for some excellent advice. Tried Malt vinegar yesterday and it worked very well though will try White or Citric Acid to reduce the smell.

Reply to
aa

Sure. Whatever's available locally. Citric is stronger than vinegar but not necessarily any "better". IME limescale is soluble in even slightly acidic solutions.

Reply to
stuart noble

Malt vinegar comes in at under 50p a pint. For cleaning limescale from a sink you are not going to use a expensive wine based vinegar.

Reply to
alan

Not all white vinegar is wine based

Reply to