Solar Wind blocks Cosmic Rays?

It's not rock, paper, scissors:
http://tinyurl.com/35x68k
"Solar scientists predict that, by 2020, the sun will be starting into its weakest Schwabe solar cycle of the past two centuries, likely leading to unusually cool conditions on Earth. Beginning to plan for adaptation to such a cool period, one which may continue well beyond one 11-year cycle, as did the Little Ice Age, should be a priority for governments. It is global cooling, not warming, that is the major climate threat to the world, especially Canada."
I knew it was too good to be true.
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I'm more concerned with environmental degradation than anything. If the politics are such that they make global warming an excuse for correcting global degradation, then I might be cool with that and warm up to any plans in that regard.

So you're not going to run your Hummer on topsoil?
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I walk, rollerblade, bike, and take public transit when I have to.
Don wrote:

No, one is unneeded, and I live almost downtown.

I agree. Pollutants cause various sorts of damage to biological organisms, and clear, uncontravertical evidence of this damage is showing up in both animals and humans.
It's extremely irritating (no pun intendd) when people use denials of global warming as some sort of license to spew pollutants willy-nilly into the air, water, and ground. Animal popultions are the proverbial "canary in the coal mine", and people's **choice** to trivialize animal indicators is only coming back to harm their own children - and, as they age and become more susceptable to pollutants, themselves as well. But then all they do is whine and cry about how 'the governemnt" should have done "something" or should do "something" - as long as they don't have to bear any of the burden for problems they themselves created.
Global Warming is, in many ways, a diversion from the immediate consequences of pollution. It's become a sound-bite substitute for pollution issues - people who want to place their own immediate profit (or lazyassedness, or whatever) over even their own, and their children's, halth, now use the cry "Global warming is a sham" to justify the poisoning of any and every environment (which inevitably ends up meaning, Anyplace where humans can live).
You'd think people would be smart enough to try to preserve thier own, and their children's and grandchildren's, health and wuality of life - but, Nope, they're too stupid to do even that.

The current Canadian government spent the first 6 months of its mandate try to play a shell game with pollution and carbon emissions being interchangeable...as if the water wasn't murky enough.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca
Michael Bulatovich wrote:

I was surprised to see our current gov't get elected. I also have a hard time with members crossing over to another party or with party mergers.

The parliamentary system is pretty dysfunctional, but who's going to get constitutional reform on the agenda?
In what province are you? Ontario is gearing up for a fall election.... Now that we (A2A/OAA) beat the government (on Bill 124) I and my minion don't have to go and spend our time trying to defeat the Attorney General in his home riding like we were planning on doing. The liberals look vulnerable, but, despite a new leader, the tories are still associated with Mike Harris and Walkerton. The NDP, well....that won't happen until we hate the liberals way more.
I'm starting to think that minorities might be our equivalent of the America's 'checks and balances'.... a good thing.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

It seems as though the thinking is constantly immediate consequences rather than long term consequences, because "other people can worry about that stuff, while I make my millions". It's not so much capitalism, as it is individualism, or maybe egoism is a better word.
--
Edgar

You're exactly right. Most people give little, if any, thought to consequences. And yes, 'egotism' *is* the better word.
In the end, for all the lip-service people pay to how much "the nation" cherishes children, well, let's just say that actions speak more loudly than words...
Kris Krieger wrote:

Absolutely-- apparently like mercury in fish.

That seems so ignorant or wreckless.

Ostensibly, allergies and asthma are also way up.

Er, I think you mean "evidently", not "ostensibly". At any rate, that is a fact (that both are on the rise). And it is not just numbers - meaning, not the same percentage of a larger populatio; the actual percentages are rising.