Shed Roof Over Existing Deck

------------------------------------- I have an existing 16x16 wooden/composite deck off the back of a manufactured home. I want a roof over the deck but do not want to pay for a gable type roof which attaches to the home - have concerns about extra weight/stress on the home, and estimates by contractors are $4000 to $10000 for gable roof with shingles. I am considering a metal roof attached to a wooden structure. I would use

6x6x16 posts [6] installed 3 on each side of the deck concreteded etc. The deck sits approximately 4 feet above ground level [posts in ground ~4 feet with around 12 feet above ground level providing about 8 feet of head room above the deck floor]. I'm trying to decide about cross members to run the span of 16 to possibly 20 feet across over the deck. These spans would have the metal roofing attached directly to them. Is this feasible? What size boards for the 16 to 20 foot span?? Any thoughts on materials costs? Location is piedmont NC so some snow but not a lot. Thanks,
Reply to
geneowens1

responding to

Archability wrote: Try posting your project for multiple architectural freelancers to bid on.

------------------------------------- Archability | Online Architectural Services Marketplace

Reply to
Archability

Long spans will require large timbers or a truss system to span without sagging or collapsing, both of which are kind of expensive for what you're wanting to do. A 16' roof span will require something like a minimal of 2x8's at 16" o/c but load calcs would have to be done first. Perhaps 16" deep spacejoists would be less expensive.

Reply to
creative1986