Interior Design: Television in front of a window: Is it okay?

Hello all,
I apologize if I am posting to the wrong group but I have a question and no one to help. My wife and I are having an argument because I want to redesign our living room. Currently, We have a 56" DLP rear- projection television in the corner of the room. Here is the outlay:
The couch faces a regular-sized window and sits about 2/3 of the way back from the window. The television is in the left corner, there is a fireplace on the right wall, bay windows on the left wall and a half wall behind the couch where the entryway is.
I received a new surround sound system for Christmas and want to create a box for the speaker placement. I suggested that we place the television in front of the 'regular-sided window' because there simply isn't anywhere else to place it. My wife says that you NEVER place anything in front of a window that would block the view (on the stand, the television sits about 16" higher than the window sill). While I agree with this, I don't see another option.
Please send me any ideas, affirmations, criticisms, etc.
Thank you in advance for the replies.

Well what's her suggestion? It's one thing to dissuade an option, but yet another to provide an alternative. What about placing the tv on something else and lower down? What about getting rid of it?

Get out of the house and turn the tv off more, and get a good mobile music player with good headphones.

While I did write that I would like criticisms, I would like them directed at the design idea. :)
Placing the TV lower is not an option.
As for the second suggestion, thank you for interjecting your personal lifestyle choices but I would appreciate helpful information only.

Can you upload pics? It's hard to come up with a solution with a casual layout description by text. I mean, how big is the window-in-question or what about alternative couch-placement? Measurements? Scales? Couches can be used as space-dividers-- they don't have to be placed against walls, or in your ostensible case, half-walls. And what about the right corner and/or beside the fireplace?

Fair enough. :) Nevertheless, I still have yet to read what your wife has suggested, if anything.
Animartis wrote:
. . . .

The TV at the window? OK.
Suggestion - half translucent or lace curtains on a rod in the window for daytime, and also light blocking double panel draw drapes for night time. The drapes would draw to the left and right with remote control. Would a dimmer and low voltage lighting valence over the drapery and track work?
Ralph Hertle

The more the old 'tv' becomes a 'home theatre', the more the room you want for it will resemble a theatre. Windows are conflicts.
--

MichaelB
www.michaelbulatovich.ca

THe view aside, it's going to be extremely difficult to see anything on the screen with the brightness of a window behind it.
ALso, descriptions don't cut it - send a scale diagram.
Kris Krieger wrote:

So much of what is on television is so inappropriate, worthless or dismal, take your pick, that being blinded while attempting to watch the screen in the daytime will have the beneficial effect of lessening viewer hours. Also, if your landscaping is regretable, you won't have to look at it. Or, alternately, it might get you and your wife outside in the hopefully fresh air.
So, I vote, good idea to put oversized tube in front of the window.
:)
replying to Animartis, patrick wrote:

Hi!
We're having the same problem! We're just biting the bullet and going to buy light-blocking blinds. It won't be that bad and it is what it is! We bought the house for the house, not the house for the room!