Favorite material

What would you say is your favorite architectural material (1) to use in your own designs and (2) to see used in designs? Why/what do you like about it (or them)?
I guess it'd also help to also differntiate residential-project materials from large-scale/commercial maerials.
No scientific survey, I'm just curious ;)

Photons. It's all about the play of light and dark.

Is this related to the 'hope filling the center of columns' reputed to have been mentioned by Louis Kahn? T
rebar and concrete, because it keeps food on the table. :-)

TheRebarGuy wrote:

Get atta here! (pushes rebarguy in the shoulder) ;P
(...Problem is, you need a jackhammer to eat.)