Books on architecture (theory and history)

Hi, I would like to purchase some good books on architecture for my private library. After a quick scan on amazon I've found the following titles.

  1. Principles of architecture ==================== Francis D. K. Ching - Architecture: Form, Space, & Order (3rd Edition,
2007)

  1. General history of architecture ======================== Francis D. K. Ching, Mark M. Jarzombek, and Vikramaditya Prakash - A Global History of Architecture (1st Edition, 2006)
    David Watkin - A History of Western Architecture (3rd Edition, 2005)

  1. Modern Architecture ================= William Curtis - Modern Architecture Since 1900 (3rd Edition, 2006)
    Kenneth Frampton - Modern Architecture: A Critical History (3rd Edition, 1992)

Please give me your expert opinion/preference about them. Also feel free to suggest any other seminal book in these areas. I will buy one book in each category.

Thanks Markus

Reply to
Markus Palomar

2006)
2005)
2006)
1992)

For history, I think Spiro Kostoff's A History of Architecture is widely accepted as the most thorough.

Reply to
Aesthete

Aesthete ha scritto:

I can't find this book on amazon. Probably it is out of print.

Reply to
Markus Palomar

I've got a copy...I never touch it.

Reply to
Michael Bulatovich

Could be because someone didn't spell his name correctly. Try Spiridon Kostov. Or Spiro Kostov

Reply to
++
++ ha scritto:

Found!

Spiro Kostof - A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals (2nd Edition 1995)

Thanks for the tip. It's a solid book.

However I'm yet looking for comments on the books that are on my short list (se first post in this thread) :)

Reply to
Markus Palomar

What is the point of your reading. What do you wish to accomplish? Design? Develop? Plan? Innovate in? Solve? Effect?

Reply to
++
++ ha scritto:

I'm not (and I'll never be) an architect but I've recently fall in love with architecture. So I would to build some solid foundations for this discipline throught authoritative and well written books on theory and history of architecture. That's all!

Reply to
Markus Palomar

You may be interested in Fungitecture, currently parked at

o8TY

Hmm, Christopher Alexander books...get a copy of Architectural Graphic standards and kind a thumb through (you can get a less than current edition for less)...purchase lots of Dover architectural and building books....take a couple courses in History of Architecture....

Reply to
++

That's kind of a loose requirement. Are you sure you couldn't just go to the library and photocopy the covers of some books and tape them to slabs of foam insulation? Much cheaper.

I adore this book.

Ooops, I don't have either of those. Please disregard my comments.

I don't if any in your selection are seminal to begin with.

Reply to
gruhn

It will be many decades yet before it is out of print.

gruhn