Books on architecture (theory and history)

Hi, I would like to purchase some good books on architecture for my private library. After a quick scan on amazon I've found the following titles.
1. Principles of architecture ===================Francis D. K. Ching - Architecture: Form, Space, & Order (3rd Edition, 2007) (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
2. General history of architecture =======================Francis D. K. Ching, Mark M. Jarzombek, and Vikramaditya Prakash - A Global History of Architecture (1st Edition, 2006) (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
David Watkin - A History of Western Architecture (3rd Edition, 2005) (Amazon.com product link shortened)
3. Modern Architecture ================William Curtis - Modern Architecture Since 1900 (3rd Edition, 2006) (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
Kenneth Frampton - Modern Architecture: A Critical History (3rd Edition, 1992) (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
Please give me your expert opinion/preference about them. Also feel free to suggest any other seminal book in these areas. I will buy one book in each category.
Thanks Markus

For history, I think Spiro Kostoff's A History of Architecture is widely accepted as the most thorough.
Aesthete ha scritto:

I can't find this book on amazon. Probably it is out of print.

I've got a copy...I never touch it.
Markus Palomar wrote:

Could be because someone didn't spell his name correctly. Try Spiridon Kostov. Or Spiro Kostov
++ ha scritto:

Found!
Spiro Kostof - A History of Architecture: Settings and Rituals (2nd Edition 1995) (Amazon.com product link shortened) />/
Thanks for the tip. It's a solid book.
However I'm yet looking for comments on the books that are on my short list (se first post in this thread) :)
Markus Palomar wrote:

What is the point of your reading. What do you wish to accomplish? Design? Develop? Plan? Innovate in? Solve? Effect?
++ ha scritto:

I'm not (and I'll never be) an architect but I've recently fall in love with architecture. So I would to build some solid foundations for this discipline throught authoritative and well written books on theory and history of architecture. That's all!

You may be interested in Fungitecture, currently parked at
http://home.iprimus.com.au/o8ty/index.htm
Markus Palomar wrote:

Hmm, Christopher Alexander books...get a copy of Architectural Graphic standards and kind a thumb through (you can get a less than current edition for less)...purchase lots of Dover architectural and building books....take a couple courses in History of Architecture....

It will be many decades yet before it is out of print.

That's kind of a loose requirement. Are you sure you couldn't just go to the library and photocopy the covers of some books and tape them to slabs of foam insulation? Much cheaper.

I adore this book.

Ooops, I don't have either of those. Please disregard my comments.

I don't if any in your selection are seminal to begin with.