Architectural term question

Dear Alt.Architecture group members,

A question about an architectural term: what would one call a cove in a wall designed to hold an ornament, like a vase or a small bust ?

Thanks, Neo

Reply to
neo

I've seen the term "nook" used for that, but I don't know if that is the proper term.

I do know that on house I went into had one on the entry wall beside the front door. It was not centered in the wall, and my only thought to call it was "tacky opening in wall"

Reply to
TheRebarGuy

Niche.

RicodJour

Reply to
nomail

I'd call him damn lucky!

Not every male gets to hold a small bust on a permanent basis.

DBM

Reply to
DBM

"neo" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@v46g2000cwv.googlegroups.com:

I've seen and head nook (small size), niche (medium size), and alcove (large). Dunno whether they're the correct terms, tho', or just what the people used for lack of better terms.

If it's a thing that pierces that wall, I can't remember what I've heard it called.

Reply to
Kris Krieger

niche. -shallow ornamental recess in wall or pier, usually to hold an ornament.

-- R'zenboom

Reply to
R'zenboom

Many thanks all, it was niche, Tolga