any
really
costs, I

with the

has been

this
Colonial", them

any/all
Thanks for the tip, buying more stock in the company that makes Windex! Ken PS:Who cleans all them windows???
YIKES! forgive me, but that house is an abomination. its nothing more than a "custom" spec shack - a hodgepodge collage of everything under the sun. horrible.
with that, id reccommend the book "Creating a New Old House" by Russell Versaci to your client in the hopes of steering him/her in a more architecturally correct direction. give him a home, not a house!

What kind of abomination? Something we wouldn't design Something they told us not to design in Design Studio Inaccurate (was it trying to be?) As much a mix of stylistic references as San Simeon Actually a bad thing to live in given the style of life the people living in it want to lead

"the client decided on"
I have no idea what you mean by "shack" unless it's just to be aimlessly demeaning. It has more than four walls and one room. More than even a few rooms. It has more than one roof.
Aren't some of the most celebrated buildings in architectural history (not real history) "shacks"? Or are those the good kind?

Ah, a purist. Can't have a porch and a castle in one house. Can't have gothic in a room one person uses for one purpose and baroque in another used and targeted differently. Worse, the bastards probably put a gothic finial in the same space as a renaissance scroll! It must be bad. Please don't come over to my place. I've got a picture of Audrey Hepburn in the same room as a picture of a cable stayed bridge. The other room has a japanese etching of a rural farmyard AND an traditional suspension bridge. Your brain would likely explode at the crimes against nature.

Why not recommend... that he just do a good job at what he's paid for? Or is Russ the only architect (is Russ an architect?) capable of teaching the unwashed masses about the elite bullshit architecture pretends is required? Maybe having the OP read Russ (likely the OP is more "qualified" to do something useful with the text) and apply the lessons or even gently tutor the poor Philistine who dared like this splendid piece of Philistine pleasing work (oh my GOD! Architecture that completely and utterly succeded at its intended aims (maybe it isn't as bad as we think)).

house!
Aside from mentioning Russ's text you don't offer any real ideas of what "architecturally correct" is. What is architecture? Sorry, Architecture. You seem to think "only one style" is a requirement. I can't really find much else.
But isn't building to a style really the fall back position of ... crap architects with no vision? "I'll just throw togther a box and tart it up with tuscan/post-modern/classical/cottage/duck frou frou and call it a 'design.'" So I guess designing to rigid stylistic constraints can't be what your after... Nope, I can't figure it out. What is "good architecture"? Sorry, Architecture. Capital 'A'.
"gruhn"

For one, like the word 'LUXURY' on the homepage, it's way too small.

i already addressed that.

i have no idea what you would design, as for myself, no i wouldnt design something like that.

i was never told to not design anything in studio.

more like half-hearted.

your comparing the architectural variety of a town to one house?

i dont know, i dont know them.

McMansion then?

yes.
sure you can - if its done the right way. Ive got hundreds of years of tried and true methods and techniques to back my position up- what have you got?
Can't have

again - anything can be done, but it should be done the right way.
Worse, the bastards probably put a gothic finial

hmm. tell you what - take a picture and post it. ill tell you if i like it or not.

because that goes whithout saying.
Or is

wow. have you even read it? wouldnt want you to ASSume anything.....

where did you get that from? again, read the book - you really are making an ass of yourself.

no.
"I'll just throw togther a box and tart it up

ahh..so you do understand why that house is an abomination then. good.
So I guess designing to rigid stylistic constraints can't be what

rigid? constraints?
Nope, I can't figure it out. What is "good architecture"?

No.
tried
So far vague assertions about "the right way" and nothing useful. Bye bye.
"Don"

It seems more of a client-designer yin-yang. Presumably the client wants you in part because of your design talents, otherwise you show the client the door... and what a nicely-designed door it is.
...But I know what you mean. ;)

Resistance is a few tiles.
You want compensation for work rendered. You want a portfolio that echoes your creativity. Maybe you want clients whose tastes echo yours, and yours theirs and vice-versa. Your lovechild is the design.

Sell your creative soul for soul-food on the table.

From what I can tell, ceramics as a class are generally good (electrical) insulators, yes.
O-M.
"gruhn"

Thermal too, if the space shuttle is any indication. Then again, there are the ceramic superconductors.

The shuttle tiles are special enough that I'm willing to not use them as an example of ceramics behaviour as a class. iirc, you may have it exactly wrong. They aren't so much insulators as insanely efficient radiators. The one time I saw a guy holding one in his hand he was blowtorching the top and it was red hot. Do that for a few minutes and merely "insulate" and you'll find your front face melting off (unless the melting temp is really really high, I guess) which would be bad. But the deal with the Shuttle tiles is that they were able to spit that heat right off. So why didn't it also spit to the interior of the tile? Good question. I probably should just google it.
how many times have i read statements from you complaining about the ignorance of clients, and how they dont really know what they want, and its your job as an almighty designer to show them the way? very hypocritical don.
now if you want to have discussions about why its better to invent and create within the rules of a traditional style, id be more than happy to show you the way.
as for that experience crack, id say to you the same thing i said to gruhn - ive got hundreds of years of time honored traditions to back me up. i directly benefit from the experience of thousands of master builders and craftsmen - from a time when detailing was everything, and everything was studied, refined, and built to perfection. these are aspects of construction that have been lost over the years - mostly due to cheap building practices. as an architect, as someone who lives and breathes the profession, i have made it my job to bring those sensibilities back, to continue the tradition of fine residential design and construction. you seem to laboring under the impression that these things cannot exist harmoniously with the wants of a client, and if thats the case, you couldnt be more wrong.

by the same token, i wouldnt design 30' fluted entry columns for a client that 'could' afford them, unless it was appropriate to the style.i have a feeling you would though...am i wrong?
and youre wrong about swaying a client don - thats a generalization, thats giving up before the game is even on.
again, you seem to laboring under the impression that the design principles i advocate conflict with budgets.... if anything, it helps clarify and prioritize budgets.

good. id suggest you start with reading "Creating a New Old House" by Russell Versaci. then at least we could have a framework to work within.

youve got to be kidding me. if i were sitting next to you right now id smack the back of yer skall with my T square. you read one book - though i commend you for at least trying - and thats it? from that you decided any further pursuit was pointless? do you really think vitruvius is the end all be all of design principles? dont get me wrong, we certainly owe plenty to vitruvius, but you havent even scratched the surface - especially if your buisness is residential design. have you really overlooked the vastly rich contributions american architects have made? lets see..... Benjamin Asher - ever hear of him?have you ever studied the "Country Builders Assistant" or "The American Building Companion" ?? or any of his pattern books for that matter? who else? off the top of my head, H.H. Richardson? Bruce Goff? A. Hays Town? im trying to use a broad brush here.......have you ever been to the habs website and poured over the thousands of drawings and details? honestly man, how can i take your opinions on this seriously? you have no idea what youre talking about, but that doesnt seem to stop you from plopping your two cents in every friggin thread.....really man, do your homework before you get on your soap box and preach to anyone about design. maybe you should go hang out at alt.irunmyownbiz

after this vitruvian development, id say your experience dont amount to a hill of beans, design wise. you may have the biz side of it down to a science - wonderful, but its only half the equation.

im sorry you got swallowed up with all the other little fish

im sorry you seem to have some aversion with learning from the knowledge of those that have mastered their craft. ive got more real world experience then you might think don, the difference between you and i is i started with a good well rounded education in architecture...to get the experience you have will only take me time, but you on the other hand, well im afraid you'll never have the experience ive had, unless you get off your soapbox and get out to that woodshed.
now, if you'll excuse me, its friday night, ive got a bag of goodies, a bottle of wine, and im gonna get it on right tonight.
Don wrote:

The Guess Who came on the radio, the other night, and I said to my wife, "That's Burton Cummings singing."
Her response was, "No one else knows that crap, except you."
I can now tell her that, "Steve and Don also know that crap!"
Thanks! <g>
Notan
Don wrote:

The first round's on me!
Notan
"Don"

The Guess Who... Not bad... and Canadian. For a nostalgic listen, I just took out from our local library Simple Minds' first album that I used to enjoy in the early eighties, as well as a Red Hot Chili Peppers for their Breaking the Girl for my hard drive.
Don wrote:

Same here.
As a child of the fifties, they came along a little too late.
Notan
Notan wrote:

Simple
RH King HS Scarboro ont. 1970... I ask "who's doing the dance?",
answer, "guess who"...
"who?"
answer, "No, guess who".
I was baffled, everyone I asked said "guess who" and being a math nerd, I had no idea...until a few days later...duh. what a silly name for a group.
"Don"

That was their second. I only had their first album. Never crazy about their stuff after that.

Me neither-- just that one song. Same with Kate Bush-- just one song; Cloud Busting.

One point I'd like to comment on. Most people probably *don't* know what they want in terms of building - because they typically haven't previously been in the position of being able to build their own place. Ignorance merely means lacking education, and it is true that most people have not had a reason to become educated in things related to building a place. When people do get to where they can build one, some seek education, others don't. It's a pain in the bucket to work with people who don't want to learn, but know all to well how to demand (regardless of whether what they demand is doable or not) - that's true in *any* job or profession.
--
- Kris M. Krieger

I'll look into that book to see if it's something I want to "require" the client to read.
Appreciate the pointer!
Michael (LS)