is there anyway to stop the defrost cycle from happening evry 34 minutes?

My Rheem heat pump goes into defrost every 34 minutes even when there is no ice.

Reply to
mickeyd

The control board in the outdoor unit has defrost connections for 30, 60 or 90 minutes. Just move the wire from 30 to 60 or 90. This is a 24 volt connection.

Reply to
stanhvac1

Is there a possiblity you have a leak in the coil or heating element? I am used to working with ac not heater but if a leak occurs and your low on freon it will continuosly roll over into defrost.

Reply to
yahoo-QVH3VSSIKHKSCZJ7EBBVNYAJ5Q

This board does not have those connections.

Reply to
mdddjd

I had a tech come out and he said the charge was correct.

Reply to
mdddjd

What is the model and serial number of your unit? I will look at the control wiring diagram and advise you more info.

Reply to
stanhvac1

It is a Rheem RQNJ-A048JK015.  The Protech Demand Defrost Control Board is: 47-102684-83 that replaced a Ranco 47-21517-16.

Reply to
mdddjd

I am sorry but that is a time / temperature defrost control. As long as the outdoor coil temperature is below 35 deg. it will go to a defrost mode.

Reply to
stanhvac1

stanhvac1, can tha board be changed to a Demand Defrost board?  If so which one? Thanks

Reply to
mdddjd

I talked to Rheem tec support and there is no conversion kit for your unit. Sorry I can not give you an option.

Reply to
stanhvac1