What wood for a cutting board

Guess I've been using dangerous woods all my life. So far I haven't had any problems. It seems a shame to throw out the twenty year old cutting board and the 15 year old salad bowls that have served so well all these years. Maybe I will just continue the take a big risk in life.

Dick

Reply to
Richard Cline

Wow, I've got birch no-cook boards myself. Now what is it about birch and water that I should know after six years? Yellow birch will even grow where its feet get wet.

As to bleach solutions and oiled boards, you'd be better with detergent. Oil and water still don't mix, but detergent emulsifies the oil on the board and the lipid walls of bacterial cells. If your board's - recommended - unfinished, or, as the "expert" probably deals with , plastic, bleach is the way to go.

Reply to
George

I made mine out of hickory, workes quite well. No warping or other problems that we've noticed. I don't know how we clean it. I don't do the cooking.

Reply to
John