what next? laid off w/

I don't think I have ever seen one in someones yard. At most local craftshows they do seem to sell well though, especially the odd ones made out of barn wood or fence posts.

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

As a matter of fact, you DIDN'T mention any of that, so do not expect people to be able to read your mind. If youw ant answers that suit your situation, explain the situation. Otherwise, don't bitch if what you get is what you asked for, but didn't want.

Charlie Self

"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

Reply to
Charlie Self

What cities will you be near?

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Thu, Sep 4, 2003, 3:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mmiller4342) claims: Did I mention

Apparently we were meant to read your mind, because you didn't mention zip. You might think about that next time.

JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Thu, Sep 4, 2003, 3:03pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mmiller4342) claims:

After I responded, I went back and read your post again. I will respond in more detail this time.

Youy wrote: My request for help was sincere and exactly as I described.

Well, that's a problem. Because you didn't describe anything. Here is your complete original post: Wed, Sep 3, 2003, 2:37pm (EDT+4) From: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mmiller4342) Laid off recently from a 20hr a week office manager job. Three years ago stopped woodworking (small crafts, shaker oval boxes) to take that job. Now I have a second 'chance'. The holiday season is coming up and I would like to give it a try again. What can I do that is fairly simple easy and would yield a good return on time and effort? i dont have a lot of experience and was going thru a lengthy 'ramping up' process when the wife said "work in the real world..." ANY suggestions welcome. have: bench top table saw delta lathe router drill press grinder various sanders disk and belt variety of the 'usual' hand tools etc.

See? But, now your feelings are hurt because of my response, and you come up with a whole bunch of, Did I mention?. No, you didn't mention.

I'm not sure what you mean here:: I was/am a stay at home dad. I had a 40hr work week AND twenty hours at a part time job. Are you saying you were/are a stay-at-home dad for 40 hours a week, plus having a 20 hour part-time job? Or, had a 40 hour regular job, plus the 20 hour part-time job, plus being a stay-at-home dad? Ah, doesn't matter. I had full custody of my sons from 3 and 7, no child support, worked full-time, and raised them with no help. At least you've got a wife. Yes in some areas, but they sell SLOWLY and are very time consuming to make. I have ALL the forms and tools and templates for such I JUST DONT HAVE HOURS AND HOURS TO POUR INTO ONE OR TWO SLOW SELLING PROJECTS.

Then why mess with them? Do a bit of homework, and find out what sells in your area.

AND JOAT: out of politeness I do believe an apology is in order on your part.

That's being polite? I'll be polite too, and just say, don't hold your breath. Look at it this way, now you understand the importance of details.

JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Thu, Sep 4, 2003, 3:22pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (mmiller4342) claims: Was on the verge of producing some kids' 'puzzle chairs', shop owners were very excited, but I ran out of time.

Well, why the Hell don't you make some now then? Ran out of time? How is that meant? 'Cause it only takes me 5-10 minutes or so to make one. Never timed it yet, but it sure doesn't take long at all.

JOAT Failure is not an option. But it is definitely a possibility.

Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 2 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like.

Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT

Reply to
Ramsey

Blood type too. I learned quickly that if you leave yourself open in the least, someone/ somebodies will take full advantage of it. that's why you never read the newsgroups unless you are in a good mood.

Reply to
Ramsey

Yeah, plus you moved to West Virginia, which must have been painful in of itself. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Reply to
Sweet Sawdust

Silvan responds:

No comment. But I could have moved to Northern Virginia and gone immediately bankrupt. Not to mention the traffic up there.

But you're in Blacksburg, IIRC. Came through there on game day last week, but was fortunate enough to do so before 10:30 a.m. when traffic was fairly close to moderate.

Charlie Self

"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

Reply to
Charlie Self

Yeah, true enough. I could be working in my field instead of driving a truck if I moved to NoVA or maybe NYC or elsewhere similar, but it's not worth it.

I live in Christiansburg. I avoid Blacksburg absolutely as much as possible, for all manner of reasons. Nothing there I need, except a dentist, and occasionally a good margarita.

Traffic is a lot more moderate than it used to be now that I have a 15' high concrete wall outside my bedroom window. I live between the old 460 and the new 460, right at the base of the new one.

Now my greatest traffic concern is all those damn flapping VT car flags. Listening to those things going by again and again is enough to make a man start to have dark thoughts. Very dark thoughts. Must. Stop. The. Flapping.

Reply to
Silvan

Silvan responds:

Frank Beamer has a lot to answer for (for non-Virginia Tech devotees, Beamer is the extremely successful coach at VT, who has in 17 years taken the Tech football team from state also-ran [amongst 2 lousy teams...actually, 3 but the Spinders were and are not good today, while UVa varies] to national powerhouse, thus creating an immense new system of roads around Blacksburg, including I81 extensions and lots of rebuilding of the old route 460, just to handle game day traffic for about 8 home games a year).

Charlie Self

"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

Reply to
Charlie Self

This is why I either leave town, or make a major point of staying home during home games. Leaving town is better, because then I don't hear the all night parties after the game.

I like the new roads. I can get over to the Lowe's and Home Depot much easier now. There is also now a new restaurant called Beamer's. We went out with some friends a few weeks ago and they insisted on trying it, even though I thought patronizing the place was just encouraging him. I have to say it was a very nice place and had pretty good food, not just a sports bar.

Today is another home game, and I'm hunkered down for the duration . . .

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Leaving town is usually the option I take. Staying home does me no good, since all the flapping is happening outside my bedroom window. I especially hate it when they have late night games, and they had some

*late* games last year.

Yeah, that about sums it up. It also makes it a hell of a lot more tolerable when the students are coming in or leaving.

I liked'em better before they were open. I put a couple hundred miles on my bike last year. It was fun riding smack down the middle of a four-lane highway at 45 mph on a bicycle without any fear greater than wondering how long the bearings could stand going that fast, or what would happen if I hit a rock at that speed.

Now, of course, to try *that* trick would mean a quick death.

Getting to the Despot is irritating. The people who designed that shopping center smoked way too much dope. It's like a roach motel. You can get in easily, but you'll sit there 30 minutes trying to get back out.

Getting to Lowe's is about the same as it always was for me. I have to drive out to Lowe's to get *on* the bypass. The new road does save me a few stoplights getting to work though.

SWMBO and I went to some hoakie Hokie sports bar on our anniversary. I felt dirty, but it was the only reasonably exotic eatery that night that didn't have a two-hour wait for a table. It sure is amazing how big the restaurant business is around here. Those NoVA kids really know how to stick it to their parents. :)

Did Tech get slaughtered? I hope, I hope, I hope... Maybe if their team starts to suck again, we can keep the roads but we'll lose all these flapping flags.

BTW, Bill, do you have any clever supply of wood up your sleeve? I haven't ever actually talked to other woodworkers in the area, and I have no idea is there's some place over the hill that I've just never heard of.

I'm thinking if I want to get ahold of some good hardwoods my best bet is going to be to bum Dad's van and make the trip down to Mayodan, or maybe some place out Charlie's way.

Reply to
Silvan

Never thought to compare it to a roach motel, but the one in Roanoke is similar. Out is very difficult. In is very easy.

My SIL (UVa grad who hates Tech) says the first 7 Tech games are essentially tune-ups or gimmees. They beat James Madison yesterday, 43-zip JMU has NO business on the same field as tech.

Take your car and cruise the back roads of Bedford County...also Franklin, etc. Bedford has at least 10 small sawmills within its 750+ square miles. Buy green. Sticker while stacking. Cover. Use in a year.

Charlie Self

"Men willingly believe what they wish." Julius Caesar, De Bello Gallico

Reply to
Charlie Self

Silvan wondered:

I'll try to field this one.

Your best bet is Plywood & Plastics in Roanoke (540-344-2079 ~

800-948-7156). They have a good selection, great prices, but only sell in full boards (about 10' or so).

For a quick fix, wander over to Reed's Lumber in C-burg. They don't have the selection or good prices, but will cut down a board to suit your needs and are a whole lot closer.

George, who moved from West Virginia to come to B-Burg to enjoy the football traffic. Must move soon... Very soon...

Reply to
George Eversole Jr.

Maybe it's a Home Despot thing. They design'em that way on purpose.

I just hope they get slaughtered by their nemsis, whoever their nemesis is. I try to stay out of it, though it's getting harder. I saw a picture of someone with a VT flag hanging out his window in the Czech Republic at some point. Yeesh.

So there _are_ places lurking out there which just haven't entered the information age yet. That's encouraging. I guess that's why it would be good to talk to more real people and fewer electrons once in awhile. :)

Reply to
Silvan

Let me second the recommendation of Heavener Hardware for hardware stuff. They will have the most obscure stuff some times. I had an old kitchen stove once that needed a new switch for the fluorescent light, you know the type where you have to hold the switch in till the light starts then release it, and Heavener had them in a pull out bin . . . several different styles. I've also found that they are cheaper for pressure treated lumber than Lowe's or Home Depot. The only time I don't go there first is on Sunday when they aren't open. I would not buy their hardwood. Not enough selection and too high priced, but tools, bits, blades, screws, and other hardware it's the place to go.

It gets better after football season is over.

Bill Ranck Blacksburg, Va.

Reply to
ranck

Bill Ranck states:

In Bedford County, the 2001 phone book has these listings (under Sawmills, all

540 AC): Ashwell Lumber Co., Huddleston, 297-8954; WJ Cox & Son Sawmill, Moneta, 297-5818; Smith Mountain Land & Lumber, Huddleston, 297-1205 (I bought a load of walnut from them almost a decade ago...good wood, but not something they have often, and I'm not sure they cut anything but bridge timbers any more); TNT Sawmill, Goode, 586-4466; R. L. Woolfolk Sawmill, Goode, 586-2407.

I don't have the new book with me. Somewhere in there you should find some green lumber at rational prices. Too, there are at least 2 others I know of that are still in business, but don't list their phones under Sawmills. Basically, they're so busy they can't deal with small orders except from old customers and friends.

In Concord, VA, there's Naked Creek Lumber Co., advertising furniture grade hardwoods. Appointment only. 800-660-0182. Kind of out of the district, but what the hey. Moneta Farm Service MIGHT have some hardwoods: I've never checked there so don't know. 297-5558.

Wholesale lumber out of Rustburg comes from Lenwood Builders--they use your logs. 804-821-2409.

Campbell-Payne in Lynchburg might also have some hardwoods. 804-847-8803.

Obviously, in all these cases, a call before a drive makes sense.

Good luck.