What is the cost for adding an Electrical Outlet

The materials:

plastic blue box: $0.50 receptical: $1.50 nuts: $0.15 Romex #12: $1.00 Cover plate: $1.50

Labor: $50-$100

Prices vary according to location. This is an easy DIY project if you carefully follow all the steps.

Reply to
Phisherman

On Sat, 25 Jun 2005 18:38:57 -0400, the opaque Robatoy spake:

Man, I like to visit less signy people. Mine ask "Did you have any trouble finding it after I gave you those detailed instructions?" I can always say "Nope, not a bit."

----- = Dain Bramaged...but having lots of fun! =

Comprehensive Website Development

Reply to
Larry Jaques

RE: The Thread

If I give you directions and you don't get there, you are a dumb f*ck.

Hopefully, you will get killed in traffic and reduce the dumb f*ck population.

lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Chrome plated conduit?

The problem with threads like this is we never get all the information. Maybe he was quoted $95 but was not told that was on top of the $70 service fee. Or perhaps the guy was just an evil bastard that decided to screw the customer.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

jo wrote: : How much should it cost for an electrician to add an electrical outlet : about 2 feet away from the electical panel in my basement. : When I called to ask how much it was initially I could have sworn they : said about $90. Then I receive a bill for $160. : The job took about 30 minutes.

My electrician charges $25 to come to the house, then $45/hour. Southern AZ. About a third of what you were billed.

-- Andy Barss

Reply to
Andrew Barss

On 6/25/2005 10:41 PM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:

I love the way directions are given out here by the locals.

Go down to where the old Smith barn burnt down 20 years ago, take a left, go to where the old man and his dog are sitting by the red pickemup truck and take a right.

Reply to
Odinn

My electrician charged $45 for the whole day. I think you got ripped.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

At < $6/hr I think you got a deal. Sure he's licensed?

Reply to
charlie

Licensed, insured, work was inspected etc. First class electrician. I know he made a good living and his truck was brand new, a 1966 Ford.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I don't recall of OP posted her location or not. It's matters hugely. Here in San Diego North County $160 for anything, even just showing up at your door and sneering at you, is a deal. Back in the DC area I had most of the outlets in my house replaced for $145. That was some years ago though. And this poor guy had to deal w/50 year old cable that liked to snap when you tried to bend it. (is why i called in a pro)

OP shouldn't be afraid to call up the company and explain the bill though. As Doug has pointed out there are a variety of reasons the $90 estimate could of shot up to $160. OP certainly has the right to insist on having the discrepancy explained. But you won't find that here on usenet.

ml

Reply to
kzinNOSPAM99

Good one. You got him!

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Such a sweet man.....Glad you posted yer email addy for the spambots

Dave

Easily could have been 30 minutes (not 20 - read the OP) of actual work commenced *after* an hour of sitting there waiting for the homeowner to move the stuff that was blocking access to the panel. :-P

Reply to
Doug Miller

We used to live in a rather sparsely populated rural area, on a dead-end road. Directions to our house ended with "... turn north, the road dead-ends in 300 yards, we're at the dead-end, it's the only house there."

It's amazing how many people will ask which side of the road it's on, or what color it is.

Reply to
Doug Miller

Perhaps, but that would be PURE speculation on your part. I think the extra $70 was for new pants needed because the dog ripped them.

-j