What is it? Set 508

Thanks, I think you are correct that HG is what is on the stamp.

Five of the six were correctly identified this week, the answers have been posted here:

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

I'll look into having a secondary site to also host the larger images, and will let you know when I find one so we can test it before next Thursday.

Rob

Reply to
Rob H.

"Rob H." <

FYI, all the 'larger images' links have worked fine here....on w/XP IE8

Reply to
Phil Kangas

I think the "larger image" issue for any browser has to do with having Java enabled. A lot of people disable it or never install it due to numerous security flaws.

Reply to
anorton

"anorton" <

You may be right about that, anorton..

Reply to
Phil Kangas

Try IMGUR

It's a very good site for hosting pics. Just the pics, and nothing but the pics.

Reply to
woodchucker

2964 Was not used on RC (Radio Control) planes but on (U control) better known as control line planes.
Reply to
Ralph

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

But, I'm on Sun Workstations. Available browsers are Firefox, Opera (an older version -- they've stopped supporting Sun/Oracle), and an older Mozilla.

IE8 just is not made to run on UltraSPARC machines, nor would I trust it given IE's (and Windows') sad security histories.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Certainly disabled on *my* systems -- at least for browser access. Running of local code is a different matter, and is done on some systems behind the firewall.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

I don't think that's the problem. I have both Java Script and Java (two separate things) disabled and the "larger image" loads just fine. I'm running the last version of the original Opera Browser, 12.16 on Linux. I suspect they are doing some weird browser sniffing. It will load okay using an old version of Opera 11 (Don has an old version of Opera 10). But if I try with an old version of Firefox a large image url reverts from:

to:

and a whole bunch of extra crap (an album webpage with viewer) comes up.

Don might get Opera to work by having it "spoof" or "mask" its identity as either Firefox or IE. Or just use wget to grab the file and display it with another graphics app...

Reply to
Leon Fisk

I posted some larger images in an album at the link below, please let me know if these work on your computer:

Rob H.

Thanks, I just posted some images there, hopefully that will work for him.

Reply to
Rob H.

Just fixed my answer. Thanks

Reply to
Rob H.

Rob H. fired this volley in news: snipped-for-privacy@drn.newsguy.com:

Rob, If I can find my copy of the 1950s Popular Mechanics Junior Do-it- yourself Encyclopedia, I'll scan the plans for "Little Torchy", and send them to you. It would be a nice adjunct to the commentary on the DynaJet engines.

It's in a box, somewhere...

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Worked for me.

Reply to
woodchucker

Found the article online Lloyd, suspend your search! it's from the May

1949 issue of Popular Mechanics:

ge&q&f=false

Article begins on page 206. (It may take a little while to load...)

Back in the day, pulse jets were flown almost exclusively control line, and were really finicky to start & keep running.

Each and every 'pulse' is dependent on the one preceding it for a fuel/air charge. If a tiny fuel bubble or whatever causes a single 'miss' the engine instantly stops. There is no 'inertia' I guess you could call it.

There were more exotic fuel blends than you can imagine, some containing ether, benzine and whole hosts of other nasty stuff. Lots of custom reed valve retainers, flowjectors, metering jets and on and on. Few people agreed on any aspect of them. (My experience was c. mid to late 60's)

However, if you search YouTube, there seems to be some folks now flying them R/C with little if any of start/run issues of yore... they've made a lot of progress, thats for sure. Some are still flying them C/L speed as well.

I bet with 100' of altitude, one of the damn things could be plainly heard five miles distant... upwind in a stiff breeze.

Erik

Reply to
Erik

Erik fired this volley in news:spam-0A2859.12141802092013 @news.dslextreme.com:

HAH! Rob, there you go! That's the same article in my encyclopedia, complete with the takeoff carriage!

That should do a lot to 'fill in the blanks' on the DynaJet.

Lloyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

There's a lot more out there on the engines themselves... try this for starters:

Erik

Reply to
Erik

It appears to be the only thing tool/metalworking related in r.c.m this week. If it wasn't for this thread, I'd swear I was in rec.boats.

Reply to
Paul Hovnanian P.E.