What is it? CXCV

Set 195 has just been posted:

don't send any email to the account that I use to post here on the newsgroups, for some reason it doesn't receive any incoming mail, instead use the gmail account on my profile on the web site.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

1177 are blacksmiths' heading tools for holding bolts while forming the head.

1178 here it would be an eel trap, in the US a snake trap?

Tom

Reply to
fgrey

1076: shaft balance weight

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

I wondered about that, but what would it be for? Smudge pots for protecting fruit crops were introduced in the US in 1913. What would they have been used for previously?

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

never found out just what you did with them.

1075 Valve lock. You lock it around the stem of a screwdown valve and it stops it being closed. 1077 Blacksmith's nail headers 1078 Eel trap.
Reply to
Andy Dingley

Other than the crop protection purpose, and before the concept of clean air was grasped, small smudge pots were used as highway hazard lights. Once upon a time, it was common to see a number of smoking, flickering smudge pots set in the road around construction sites and road repair sites. The point was that they would burn all night. Nowadays, the equivalent is the flashing strobes that get put on temporary highway barriers. Police also sometimes used them instead of flares around accidents. They were also too cheap and dirty to steal.

Reply to
Alexander Thesoso

Aha. I wonder why they were called "smudge" pots, then.

Oh, well. Sometimes a question isn't worth asking.

Thanks, though, for the info.

-- Ed Huntresss

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Spamfilter, maybe? ;-)

1073 Pasta crimper 1074 Teapot for the Dyslexic 1075 Cock ring, for VERY bad boys. 1076 Male Chastity Device, for VERY VERY bad boys. ;-) 1077 Tie Rods ??? 1078 Chinese Fingercuffs for the Jolly Green Giant.

Cheers1 Rich

Reply to
Rich the Newsgroup Wacko

Well, sure. Maybe I should have wondered how the onces used for protecting fruit trees were called smudge pots. Maybe the name was already in circulation.

I think you have to be up at 4:00 in the morning. I was loading up for an hour of snapper fishing, and turned on my computer so I could see the highlights of last night's Yankees - Red Sox game.

Thanks for the story, Rich.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress
1073 is a check protector. Squeeze the knurled rollers together and it will perf/emboss paper. 1074 is a plot of grass, but what's that cast iron lamp-like thing in the middle?
Reply to
Leo Lichtman

I'm 55 and I had the same imagery when I was a kid. I had forgotten about those round ones until the discussion about the two-armed weirdo,

1074. I wonder when the local streets department stopped using them?
Reply to
Marc Dashevsky

to it. )-;

Those round black bombs were "Toledo Torch" brand. I had a set of six for a while, but they escaped, and are on the loose somewhere in central Florida now.

LLoyd

Reply to
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Out of curiousity, where did you find the information on 1913 for orchard/vineyard/etc. use? A particular style/brand/type maybe, would seem late for the concept anyway???

(I haven't looked at the posted pic's, w/ dialup the load time is so long as to rarely try...)

--

Reply to
dpb

After seeing the smudge pot answer, and vaguely remembering that smudge pots for protecting trees was something that started in California in the early part of the last century, I Googled it. I found two or three articles that described it as something that started with a big freeze out there, in 1913.

As for how I "vaguely remembered" it, that was from a paper I wrote in 9th grade, when I lived in Florida. Some things stick in one's memory. 'Too bad the important things don't.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Modern highway warning markers. :~)

Reply to
Leon

I have a ball shaped brass covered Smudge pot like the ones on the high ways many years ago. It's relatively new as I purchased it new at a Fireplace store. I burn that Citronella oil in it to keep mosquitoes away.

Reply to
Leon

It is a Safety Derrick Lamp. Patent number 126,688 issued May 14, 1872. See:

Leon Fisk

commonly called? It has a somewhat colorful nickname.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Flambo? Have vague recollections of the round highway safety ones being called that when I was a kid.

Reply to
William Bagwell