Wax over Tung

Seeking advice regarding applying another finish over tung. The subjects are hardwood plates that will come into contact with food. Thanks for your help. an old curmudgeon

Reply to
A Curmudgeon

I'd leave it as is, just re-oil regularly. So long as it's not a lead-dried oil (which modern oils aren't) then it's plenty safe.

If you put wax over, you'll get white clouding whenever you try to wash it. For a fruitbowl or similar, this might be OK - just wipe it.

If you really want to seal it, use shellac.

Andy Dingley

What exactly do you mean by food, apples, oranges, bananas, beef stew?

Then, what is the question, is it safe, can it go over tung oil, will it protect?

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks for the response Mike, the reason for asking was more aesthetic than for protection. The tung has left a definite oil/spirit-type odor which I imagine might detract from the palate. They are plates; sandwich, cheese, etc. - no loose liquids. I understand that tung by itself is pretty well protected - it was just to reduce the oily odor. If tung loses it's odor over time then there is no problem and I won't attack it anymore. Thanks again, Brian

Reply to
A Curmudgeon

Thanks Andy. This is the first time using Formsby's tung oil so I didn't know how it acts. I'm trying to reduce the oily odor as it doesn't go well with tuna fush sandwiches. Thanks, Brian

Reply to
A Curmudgeon

Then I wouldn't use pure tung (if it isn't already finished). Either use a commercial blend of finishing oil (tung oil + thinners + driers) or use mineral oil.

Commercial oils are thinner than tung, quicker drying, easier to apply, and much easier to apply as an initial coat on dry wood. They also have a far less persistent smell. Tung oil does lose this, but it's not quick. Keeping it warm and dry will help, not leaving it in the workshop overnight.

Mineral oil is a non-drying oil that's good for chopping boards and salad bowls. You will need to re-apply it regularly, because washing will remove it.

Andy Dingley

Hi Brian

Oils are slow to cure but you can help it along by putting the plates in a warm area with a good air flow. It's winter or almost. Got a heat register that isn't somewhere where the odor will bother people. Not right on the register of course, got to let the air cool a bit.

Failing that you can try wax, it won't hurt. If that doesn't work remove the wax and try a light coat of shellac. Neither will last long and/or are easy to remove and they may solve you odor problem long enough to let the oil fully cure.

Good luck Mike

Reply to
Mike G

Thanks Andy. The first 2 were already pretty much completed and they came out so nice with the tung. The remaining 6 plates will get done using both methods mentioned (first time with either of those methods so it should be interesting.) Again, thanks. Brian

Reply to
A Curmudgeon

Ambiant mean high temperature in the local area today was 87. Heat is not a problem... but I understand - thanks. The first 2 plates came out nice so I'll try the wax on them. Thanks, Brian

Reply to
A Curmudgeon

I just want to make sure you are aware that Formsby's "Tung Oil Finish" is actually a wiping varnish. See the article written by Bob Flexner at:

:

Nova

Thanks Jack, always appreciate knowledgeable advice and the chance to learn. That would also explain why it has been curing overnight and not the days-to-weeks that I'd read elsewhere. Brian

Reply to
A Curmudgeon