Using laminates outdoors

Has anyone used laminate (for counter tops) outside? I want to do a couple of projects for outside that don't require laminate, but it is a huge consideration. I'm just wondering how long it would last outdoors and if the glue would hold in the extreme cold of the northern states or direct sunlight in the summer. Lou

Reply to
Lou

Laminate itself can handle the moisture and the heat. many can handle the UV as well. Your concerns should focus on the substrate you will be going to adhere to. Also, in high heat, direct sunlight, regular contact cement might get soft. A PVA, like Wilsonart 3000 would be a better choice, again, as long as you can seal off any water from getting to the bond. I think a slab of acrylic solid surface would serve you a lot better.

Reply to
Robatoy

It's funny but I was just looking at that Wilsonart 3000. I will probably be bonding to grade A exterior plywood. The reason I can't use solid surface is because a lot of the surfaces will be curved. Lou

Reply to
Lou

That has never stopped me. 325 degrees F and you can bend and twist that stuff like putty...assuming it is acrylic like Corian, Gibraltar, Staron and Meganite.

Exterior plywood is okay as long as you prepare the edges.

Reply to
Robatoy

Keep in mind that an exterior plywood does well out doors but that does not mean that it will not absorb water and possibly compromise the bond

Reply to
Leon

There is indeed a difference between wet and 'wet'. I suppose the ideal combo would be Wilsonart 3000 onto Exterra. Me thinks the bond would have to be submerged totally for quite a long time for the bond to fail. Interesting problem though. Laminate is used in shower and tub surrounds all the time. It is essentially phenolic.

Reply to
Robatoy

Some of the stuff I'm making will be boxes and cabinets so the entire outside of each will be covered. The insides will only be covered with a sealant such as paint or poly. I then plan to either, tape of the corners caulk and paint (match colors) or put a plastic corner trim on each corner with caulking underneath. Lou

Reply to
Lou