The best way to strip bark from a large branch?

I want to make a climbing tree/scratching post for a relatives cat for which I've found some largeish branches. I now need to strip the bark off them, is there a generally accepted method for doing this? I remember doing it ages ago with a chisel and hammer but that was on a small branch to create a walking stick. Would it still be the same method though for a bigger piece? I was thinking that using a heat gun would make the process easier too? On a second note, should I treat the wood once I have stripped it, bearing in mind its for indoor use and that cats might chew it?

Any thoughts appreciated.

Jim.

Reply to
James Duncan

Last time I stripped bark I used a draw knife, and wished I had a shaving horse to hold the piece. But a sharp draw knife was very easy to use. A hammer and chisel would be way too much work for me.

I would leave it untreated if a future push stick was going to be clawing it..

djb

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

I'd use a draw knife.

> On a second note, should I treat the wood once I have stripped it, bearing

I'd leave it unfinished/untreated.

Nova

Harvest now, with sap up. Soak for a week in dihydrogen monoxide, slit and peel.

Reply to
George

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 07:07:46 -0400, "George" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

How do you find work out which way is up for the sap?

Friggin rocket fuel. It _blows_ the bark off!

Reply to
Old Nick

"James Duncan" wrote in news:cbi99t$2lf$ snipped-for-privacy@hercules.btinternet.com:

Depending on the size of the branch and thickness of the bark...drawknife as some have said is most likely the best, but if you don't have a drawknife try a potato peeler.(G)

GJP

Reply to
GJP