Temperature Related Finishing Problem???

According to the weather channel, I'm at 33% relative humidity, with a current temperature of 84F. Due to be 101F today.

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

Christ is in our Midst!

God Bless Gerry,

The next time you spray water to make the grain raise, do not spray the ends of the wood.. Only spray the surface and look at the ends how deep the water has penetrated the wood.. I've seen ARC absorb a light spray of water on the surface of a piece as much as a 1/4" and that was only what I could see.. I've seen Black Walnut and Red Oak absorb a light spray of water as much as

1/8" to a 1/4" into the wood.. The more porous the wood the deeper you can see a fine mist go into the wood. And if you can see where the moisture has gone 1/4" into the wood, you can add another 1/16" to an 1/8" to the most porous places on the surface you just sprayed that you can not see.. Now after you wipe the water from the surface of the piece and apply your varnish, that water is trapped under the surface of the wood and when it finds a place in your finish to evaporate, and it will, the wood will shrink under the finish causing what I call "Microcracks" to form in the finish which will allow the wood to breath better and absorb the moisture it lost.. The process of evaporating, microcracking will continue until the microcracks will weaken the bond between the varnish and the fibers of the wood allowing the varnish to chip or fluff off until you have a re-finishing job and a PO'ed customer wanting you to refinish the piece.. I have seen this MicroCracking occur on pieces within 2 years. Which is why I always use Paint Thinner (Mineral Spirits) to raise the grain of a piece I am getting ready to finish.. The added oils in the mineral spirits tends to help the finish by resisting humidity and curves the need for raising the grain with water that is absorbed by the wood..

Please forgive me, sometimes I will comment on something assuming it is a well known concept and feel no need to go into great detail.. I will try and mend my ways on future comments.

God Bless, Michael

Mike Zuchick

David,

| |I'm still wondering what's in the Crosslinker. I have used |it and Lois had told me that it isn't as hazardous as some |other catalysts. Did you she give you any idea what's in |the Crosslinker?

Haven't a clue. If I was still employed I could take a sample to one of my chemist friends and find out.

|I've tried to find out more about it and |have come up empty-handed. I DO wear a respirator when |mixing in the Crosslinker or when ever I spray any Enduro |product. I hope this stuff isn't gonna lead to some |dreadful medical problem! :)

Maybe I got the wrong impression about the hazard level, but she made it very clear that I should wear an active carbon filter mask (I always do) and wear gloves (do that too). She even included the gloves, so I take it that it's important to wear them. Better safe than sorry. But if we're not breathing it in, not getting it in the eyes and not absorbing it through the skin, I think we're okay.

| |I found that leaving a damp glass on top of Enduro coatings |for many hours will compromise the finish. I haven't made |any tests on Crosslinked finishes yet.

Well hurry up and report back here. [g]

| |I generally use one coat of sealer, followed by 3 lightly |sanded topcoats. The last project ended up looking too |"plastic" so I cut the finish back with gray, maroon and |white pads. That gave a nice soft luster and got rid of the |dreaded plastic look. I guess I applied too-heavy coats.

Could be. I often use their conditioner (tempted to try distilled water) to get better flow with lighter coats. | |What are you spraying with? Forgive me if you've already |mentioned that recently; my memory is the pits!

I'm using a Wagner 2600 "Softspray" HVLP rated at 6psi @70 cfm and a non-bleeder gun. I based this choice on the article in FWW, since I was without much experience in this area. This gun comes with a 1.3mm (0.05") tip and until very recently I couldn't locate a source for different sizes. I now know that gleempaint has them but I have yet to buy a smaller one. I seem to be able to fiddlefart around and get decent spray characteristics, although I think I'm probably wasting some material. (Another reason to be outside)

Some question the use of aluminum parts with water but I haven't seen it as an issue.

Wes

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Michael, I think we'll have to just disagree on the degree here. Jewitt and other finishers don't seem concerned, and I haven't seen an issue from this in several decades of working with wood.

Now, you spoke about "added oils" >Christ is in our Midst!

Reply to
GerryG

Mineral Spirits or as sold by EXXON as VARSOL is an oil base product and definitely will leave an oil residue as will most oil base paint thinners. Laquor thinner, MEK, and others will leave a powdery ash which is less desirable.

LLL

Reply to
lllilly

Say what you will but I have several pieces of furniture that proves your thoughts wrong.

Reply to
Leon

Christ is in our Midst!

God Bless Leon,

As you wish.. It is not an important issue to me.. I know what I have experience with my own eyes..

God Bless, Michael

Reply to
Mike Zuchick

Peruvian Walnut is much darker than American Black Walnut. An oil based finish will further darken it. I don't think the temperature or humidity have anything to do with the coloration. As Larry suggested try shellac or lacquer.

Nova

Reply to
GerryG

Christ is in our Midst!

Look Leon, you said your were having a problem with your finish I assumed you were asking for advice.. I gave you advice based on my experience and instead of thanking me for my efforts or simply not heeding the advice and letting it go at that you have created an entire thread and seem to be more interested discounting the information I have given you which I have learned over the years via experience.. I thought I left the ingrates in REC, but apparently a couple went over the fence. So here are two last bits of advice I will give you.. This ain't REC.. If you want to argue, go there and argue all you want.. I left REC for this very reason and came here.. And the last bit of advice, don't hold your breath until you get anymore help from me! Just got no time for arguing over things I know to be true.. Got no need to convince you of anything. After all you're a big boy, figure it out yourself.

Reply to
Mike Zuchick

Lest we forget, the first rule states: No single rule will always apply.

Many people have seen different problems and issues, and some have solutions, but may not realize that both the problems and solutions are often dependent on a bunch of detail that may not be obvious. That unless you can repeat them under many other conditions, you do not have a general rule. Add to this the "...in the eye of the beholder", and arguments often end up with more personalities than facts.

Michael, I d>Christ is in our Midst!

Reply to
GerryG

Christ is in our Midst!

Gerry, I couldn't agree more.. But from here on out when someone asks for help, I will be very leery about giving them my opinion.

God Bless, Mike

Reply to
Mike Zuchick