Tailed Vs Stumpy Drills

I promised the missus a (melamine) cabinet for the laundry, but to allow for shelf locations I needed to drill lots of holes. Since it has been a while since I last used my electric drills I dragged them out and gave them their day in the sun.

I'd forgotten how much faster and more powerful they are than the DeWalt 12v, which, although a useful tool, isn't close to being in the same class.

Another thing I noticed is the finish quality of the hole (using the same bit). The Makita drill repeatedly left a crisp edge whilst the DeWalt chipped the edges. I think this is due to the 5mm bit needing the speed of the Makita, which the DeWalt can't match. Even my heavy duty Pentagon left crisp, effortless edges.

Although they are convenient, the results of the cordless drill don't come close to the pow-whirred variety so, I think I am going to drop back to having cords everywhere for a while.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

Convenience has overcome sense in a lot of ways, that's for sure.

I used to tell the kids at the shop that tailed were drills, the battery operated were drivers.

Reply to
George

Snip

Agreed, IMHO the corded ones are still better for many applications where speed or power is needed. They certainly make more since economically. If only they had a multiple speed gear box like the cordless and an electronic brake.

Reply to
Leon

I discovered long ago that the step drill bit for my Kreg jig works a lot better in a corded drill than the cordless. It's all in the speed. Even in high range the cordless doesn't turn fast enough to make the quick, easy hole that the corded drill does. I'm not ready to forego the stumpies entirely; they are far too useful and convenient; but there certainly are occasions when I prefer the tailed boys.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I discover that in the owners manual. IIRC the rep at the show recomended a higher speed corded drill.

It's all in the speed.

IMHO corded drills lag way behind cordless when it comes to finessing a screw into wood.

Reply to
Leon

It's the braking which makes me prefer the cordless. My Bosch VSR, even though it has a two-speed gearbox, takes too long to wind down. For high speed and sudden stops, I use an air drill. NOT a Festool *LOL*, but an off-shore 30 dollar jobbie. Keeping it oiled, it has plenty of torque and speed for all-day use. It's been great for 5+ years. I use yet another airdrill with a mixing attachment to mix up my laquer and keeping those arc-ing brushes away from the fumes.

Rob

Reply to
sandman

Yeah BUT does it have a keyless chuck??? LOL

Reply to
Leon

What's that? Is that like directions? I have a box full of them somewhere.

No question about it. That would be one of the activities in which I prefer the cordless.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

*G*..Busted. Nope, it doesn't...doesn't have 'reverse' either...or 'variable speed' for that matter.... I use a 5/16 braided rubber hose, no air coupling on the drill but there is one about 4-feet from the drill and that hooks up to a normal air hose. Very handy for tight corners, and very light weight.

I had one summer-student convinced that the drill's output is 5HP because the compressor motor is rated at 5 HP. *G*

Reply to
sandman

I know you are speaking from experience. I'm confused by the factory specs. In the Dewalt line, the corded drills actually turn slower than the cordless. In fact, the fastest drill made by Dewalt that I could find was their 1/2" heavy duty cordless (3 speed with top speed range

0-2000 rpm). I've got a Dewalt 18 volt drill and its always seemed as fast on its highest speed as my 3/8" corded drill. Maybe the lower voltage drills slow down under load?

Bob

Reply to
Bob

I use vix bits for shelf holes, never been a problem chipping with cordless in melamine.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

The older 2 speeds don't spin all the fast. Mine is 400 on low and 1100 on high. I'm sure the 3rd speed improves the speed. IIRC my corded drill spins at 2200.

Reply to
Leon

I agree, my comments were in relation to drilling only. For driving, I use a Metabo "zucchini" driver which is without peer.

Groggy

Reply to
Groggy

Reminds me of a conversation I had with my 8 year old last fall when I pulled out my Porter Cable corded drill. He asked "What's that?" My response was "It's a drill." His response was "Oh, I've never seen one with a wire on it before..." Funny how time moves on. ;-)

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 11:39:58 GMT, Groggy vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!:

All that you say is true. I believe the argument that will no doubt ensue is pointless. They each have their places. Each far outperforms the other in its place. shrug.

Reply to
Old Nick

unless you're building a fence... my neighbor has a corded screw gun that kicks ass... when we did my fence, he did all the screws on 130' of fence in about 7 hours... we figured later that between the stringers and pickets, he drove about 1,300 2 1/2" screws that day..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Yabbut, now you're talking apples and oranges. I have a corded DW deck/drywall screwgun that as you say, "kicks ass". That nose piece for adjusting the head depth is there for a reason. I took mine off once for some reason, and sunk a 3 1/2" screw most of the way through a tubafor before I could pull away or get off the trigger. Used it for the drywall during recent remodel at Daughter's house, and it was great. Consistent head placement, where the cordless with a torque clutch would do just OK, sometimes not setting the head, sometimes setting it too deep.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I've seen a few nice cordless screw guns, but can't imagine how many batteries you'd need charged to do a fence.. sometimes it's better to just run an old fashioned extension cord..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Groggy,

Having been recently re-enlightened, you need to read Tom Watson's 'Ode to a Corded Drill'

C.

Reply to
Joe C.

Hi Greg, Is that the 4.8v 'Powergrip'? Looked at one as my old B&D is getting tired. The Metabo is a bit pricy here but the size seems ideal for getting into small places as opposed to the long B&D. BTW How is the saw?

Reply to
Phil Hansen