table saw gear lube that can hold up to MDF dust?

I'm cutting lots of MDF on my contractor table saw right now. I don't have a dust collection system. I cleaned and lubed everything before starting this project, but I'm not even a third of the way through and the gears for raising/lowering/tilting the blade are so gummed up I can't turn them.

Anyone have suggestions for a lube that can hold up to this unbelievably dusty environment?

I've tried:

hard beeswax -- didn't really work as a lube paste wax -- worked very briefly but dried out before I even started cutting lithium grease -- worked well as a lube but attracts dust like mad white lithium spray - this worked so-so as a lube, but also attracts dust like crazy

Thanks for any suggestions!!

Reply to
benjunk

you might want to try dri slide

Reply to
CC

I clean the gears with brake cleaner to get all the grease out. I have sprayed the gears with Top Cote. I would imagine any dry lube would work well, graphite dust should work well, the stuff you inject into lock cylinders. Laguna Tools recommends a Teflon type lube. I have used Triflon with good success.

Reply to
Leon

Graphite grease, definitely.

On Thu, 5 Mar 2009 05:12:46 +0000, snipped-for-privacy@pookmail.com wrote (in article ):

Reply to
Bored Borg

Yeah, the grease is the problem, graphite or not it attracts dust.

Reply to
Leon

Dry graphite lubes are available such as Krylon Sprayon Dry Graphite Lube.

Nova

Clean out gears, then spray with open chain gear lube which is basically graphite which dries on gears.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

bar and chain oil

Reply to
beecrofter

It's like a bicycle chain, more important to keep clean than to actually make a dynamic film on the moving parts. So, I just painted some melted paraffin (candle wax) onto the gears and screws, then warmed it with a hot air gun (propane torch would work) to get it to liquefy and penetrate. Work the motions a few times through the full range, and it should last quite a while.

Reply to
whit3rd