Sources for carbide chain in the US?

I am trying to get some carbide chain from the US. In Oz it costs a fortune, even taking shipping, conversion and tax into account. for instance, to buy a couple of TCT chains from the US, and also a couple of "Carbide impregnated" ones, will cost me $450 delivered, in $Aud. To buy in Oz would cost Aud$750. If you see my point.

I found one place (Baileys) that deals in Rapco chain. Baileys say Rapco do not make a chain in carbide to suit my smaller saw (Husky

136, and probably known as Low Profile) but I know it can be had.

Rapco's site (rapcoindustries.com) seems dead.

Tilton Online sell only in the US. They did not get as far as indicating whether they had suitable chain, but in any case are only dealers for Rapco.

There was one other mob I emailed. They dealt with rescue chain. And yet another that cost as much as Oz anyway.

So does anyone know anyone other than Rapco that deals in TCT chain for wood purposes?

Thanks for any help.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of the toilet cubicles. You feel "What sort of twisted child would do this?"....the internet seems full of them. It's very sad

Reply to
Old Nick

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:07:41 +0800, Old Nick calmly ranted:

Oh, Bailey's. You must mean CHAIN SAW chain. Try this, Nick.

Sometimes in a workplace you find snot on the wall of

And ya might change your sig, ya snotty sot.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 11:07:41 +0800, Old Nick calmly ranted:

I forgot to ask what your local firemen said (don't they use it?), or what Husky shops said about finding it for you.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Can't speak for the US, but the stuff's an insane price in the UK too. Chain for a Mafell morticer (small end of timber framing) is about £500 ($750 US)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

Check with your local fire department. Carbide chain is very useful for ventilating roofs & various other stuff we get to play with. There is the standard tooth profile you're probably expecting (with no ramps between, so it's VERY aggressive and will kick back something awful), and there's also a "bullet" profile that, well, has to be seen to be understood but it cuts very nicely and deals with nails better. I'm sure your local-ish fire department uses 'em, find out their source.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Have you considered adapting your saw to the chain at hand? My Stihl 029 had a 20" bar with some sort of oddly pitched chain that may well be the same thing that your Husky uses and like you wrote chains were pretty scarce. I found it easiest to swap my bar for an 18" and the drive sprocket to match

3/8" pitch chain. After I did that Bailey's was glad to sell me loops of their carbide-loaded chain and they work a treat for dirty logs. I'd really like to have carbide chain but even given those cheap USA prices you write about they are far too rich for my blood.
Reply to
John McGaw

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:12:50 -0700, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Yep. Sorry. What would you use carbide chain for?

etc etc....the trouble is finding someone who has TCT chain that fits, and who will export. I've contacted three co's so far.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 01:17:12 -0700, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

No they don't use it. Husqvarna don't seem interested. Stihl Aust did not reply at all. As I said, local $$ are extreme.

Reply to
Old Nick

On 15 Jun 2004 15:14:50 GMT, Dave Hinz vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I've seen the stuff for rescue work. I was after wood cutting stuff. I saw the bullet profile. It certainly is interesting shape.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Tue, 15 Jun 2004 18:22:02 -0400, "John McGaw" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

That will be my next step, if I am completely foxed. I am going back to Baileys (if and when bother to reply again) and ask them about it. The problem is not the 20" Husky, but the smaller one (14"). Although it's 3/8", it has a smaller profile tooth and drive sprocket, and I am not sure if they make the stuff with the right tooth for smaller saws.

I have learnt that 3/8" pitch .050 chain ain't 3/8" pitch .050 chain :-<

The wood I am cutting just kills ordinary chain. I already have a 20" TCT chain, and it's magic.

Reply to
Old Nick

You might want to try a large Fire Equipment Company, they have lots of products and contacts in the industry. A salesman I use at L N Curtis and Sons, in Oakland, CA, is Ken McNair snipped-for-privacy@lncurtis.c . (make the ending of that "com" to make it work for you and not the Bots) He would be a good source of info, if not the chain itself.

I'm not sure of their export policy. I have no affiliation with L N Curtis & Sons, just a very satisfied customer. If he askes who refered you to him, tell him 'FireManBob'.

Reply to
FMB

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 11:12:56 GMT, "FMB" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

I may take up that option.

At the moment I am still trying to get replies and sense out of a couple of other places.

The trouble with fire-aimed stuff is it's not meant for wood. I should have explained.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 10:42:15 +0800, Old Nick calmly ranted:

I thought maybe it was some high-falutin' rigger's chain or sumpin'.

Try finding someone from the (Wreck or Metalhead) group who lives near your favorite dealer, send vast amounts of greenback to them, and let them export it to you if the company won't.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Give im a shot at it. The chain he sold us slices through roofs like a hot knife through butter. Wood roofs.

Reply to
FMB

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:49:41 -0700, Larry Jaques vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

Yeah. I do realise I should have been more specific.

That will be my next attempt. I am still awaiting a few replies from suppliers.

HAH! I'll probably pay for all this, and then chainsaw chain will become a WMD (which it is, but not for terror purposes ) or something, and export wil be banned.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 02:03:36 GMT, "FMB" vaguely proposed a theory ......and in reply I say!: remove ns from my header address to reply via email

OK. I will. Be interesting. Thanks.

Reply to
Old Nick

On Thu, 17 Jun 2004 10:39:48 +0800, Old Nick calmly ranted:

And spelling it "carnide" on RCM didn't help, either. ;)

Well, if a 9" sharpened pencil -isn't- a weapon and a 1" pocket knife _is_ a regulated weapon nowadays, WhoTF knows?

- Every day above ground is a Good Day(tm). -----------

Website Application Programming

Reply to
Larry Jaques