SOT: Shed trim

Sorry for the slightly off-topic post, but I'm building a shed and was hoping for advice on alternative trim. My last shed had pine 1x's, which really started to cup after 6 years in the Colorado sun (despite painting). I'm looking for something a little more stable - perhaps MDF or OSB? Anyone have experience or recommendations?

Thanks,

Tony

Reply to
schountz

Look into an expanded PVC trim, such as Azek. It won't rot or warp and it works like wood. The only caveat is that you're not supposed to paint it a darker color as there can be problems with heat buildup if it's too dark. If you use stainless nails, you don't even have to paint it (though I would).

RicodJour

Thanks for the quick reply. About how much does this stuff cost?

Thanks,

T.

Reply to
schountz

Tony, I have dealt with the same issue and tried a number of different ideas to resolve the instability of trim exposed to harsh weather.

The best material I have found thus far is synthetic decking planks, like 'TREX' or similar brands. I have not been able to discern any significant differences between brands in this application so I go with the house stocked brand at HD usually. However having said that, it is imperative to pay attention to the differences of the new material that affects it's application. Specifically, I drill pilot holes to eliminate potential splitting during installation. Next, I usually pre finish all sides with a high quality exterior house paint or use a high end solid color deck stain like Behr's best. The decking cuts, mills and finishes great like mdf, but seems to survive the elements better over time, IMHO.

Using this method has resulted in my not having to ever deal with any of the trim due to weather damage. Don't forget to document your experiences, and even more importantly the new projects you will now be able to undertake with the 'trim maintenance' tasks eliminated. Good luck, hope this helps your situation. regards, Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy

Warning - PVC trim shrinks *lengthwise* in cold weather. Cut them a little long and snap them in place. Or install in mid-winter ;-)

Reply to
DJ Delorie

Here are the decking plank prices:

the Behr's solid color wood stain is 26$ a gallon. I ripped the 6" wide planks in half and used a 1/2" radius round over router bit on the outer edge with the corners mitered and the pieces attached to the house with stainless steel screws in predrilled and countersunk holes. This decking has an imitation wood grain on one side and straight grooves lengthwise. I used the grooved side out which resulted in a uniform textured effect that went well with the rounded edges for a contemporary look. I used the same approach to produce custom trim for the storm doors and as a backing for the brass street address numbers. Now all the trim matches and it still looks as good as when it was applied. Good luck on your project, as a Colorado native I am acutely aware of the damage the sun can do at that altitude, as I recall the average number of sunny days was nearly 300 per year. regards, Joe.

Reply to
Joe Brophy