Shopsmith pricing

Hi Aw

Don't mind you asking at all. I've done everything from building two shops, well, one and a major rebuild of another, to building jewelry boxes, cradles, and turning pens on mine and accuracy was never a problem nor, once you get used to it is, set ups. Even the most radical reconfiguration doesn't take me more then a minute, two at the most.

As with any multi function machine there are compromises made, but Shopsmith didn't make them in quality or ability to do fine woodworking. The ones that were made, notably the size of the table when in the saw function mode, can be worked around easily enough with a sled but most of the time even that isn't necessary..

Take care.

Reply to
Mike G

Actually Ginsu knives are great!! ...and I'm one who is very picky about knives in the kitchen.

Reply to
Don

Nope, the (a) Unisaw has been there from the first. The first two episodes of the second season featured the contractors saw as did a later episode builidng the garage workshop. Pardon a little whoring, but if you go to the Norm's Tools section of my site and click on either "Delta" or "Saws" and then click on "Contractors Saw" you'll see I have it documented much as I've said here.

What may be confusing you is that for a long time (I couldn't/don't want to tell you how many episodes) the safety speech featured a cut on the contractors saw, and for most of the second season you could see it sitting over in the corner near the door.

But thanks for the challenge.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

I'm retiring soon and was also looking at the Shopsmith as I'd like to take up woodworking as a hobby. If I go the dedicated machine route instead what do you recommend I get?

Reply to
Don

Got me. I do that frequently for some reason. The show premiered in

1989, maybe that's what throws me.

My real problem (as with most people my age) is the '60s are a mystery to me, too.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

For my sister in-laws sake we let a Rainbow rep perform the show at out house. She would get a discount on the one that she had on order. He compared it to our new Ricar vac and failed miserably.. You know the scene, run our vacuum over a heavily traveled area 100 times and then he uses the Rainbow to go over the same spot with a black cloth in the hose to catch what ours missed... Sure enough there was dirt on the black cloth.. Then I said let me run my vac again with a black cloth in the same spot that the Rainbow had been run... You guessed it, more dirt. Ours passed the bright light pointed at the exhaust test also.

Reply to
Leon

OK, so you are saying there were 2 saws, the contractor and the Unisaw. I stand corrected, I never noticed the Unisaw. The contractors saw probably stood out more for me as during the beginning years I was interested in getting a Delta Contractors saw that was sitting around at work not being used.

Reply to
Leon

LOL.. When I discuss automobiles with my 16 year old son I always refer to the Viper being introduced in the 80's.

Reply to
Leon

How much do you want to spend? A shop can be equipped for a couple of thousand or over ten housand with little hesitation. It also depends on the projects you want to undertake. Birhouses require much less than making fine furniture.

A medium budget shop will have: Contractor saw with good fence and cast iron wing(s) $750 to $900. (Delta, Jet, Grizzley) Drill press, at least a 12" bench top $180 (Delta) Planer $300 to $450 (Delta, DeWalt) Jointer $300 to $550 (Bridgewood, Delta, Jet) Router or two $150 and up Router table $10 for a cheapie home made to $800 with lift, drawers, etc. Dust Collector $280 Sander. Either a Ridgid spindle/belt combo or oscillating spindle $200 Bandsaw $500 and up for a 14" model.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

If you have the room, I highly recommend dedicated machines. Brand name should suite you well. One of the things that I dislike about the Shopsmith and the clones like it is table saw set up. The table saw setup will probably be what you use 90% of the time. IMHO in the table saw set up the table is WAY TOO high off the floor and the table is WAY TOO SMALL for large pieces of wood. The demo "shows" seldom if ever show cutting a sheet of plywood or an 8 or 10' board.

Reply to
Leon

"Don" wrote in news:tPGdncp2Jf snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

Two thoughts, from someone who has been there, and has the receipts to prove it:

  • Find a woodworking class in your area. Adult education, local high school, community college, something. What you will learn is priceless. The people you will meet are priceless. And what you will save in buying blurfls will fund a great many projects, whether they be woodworking projects, or activities with the loved ones. And you will find out what you like, and have talent for building.
  • You will also find out where/how/what to buy used in your area. Most good woodworking gear doesn't wear out in a lifetime of use. You very likely will find some, not all, very serviceable equipment, for the portion of the hobby that you will discover you enjoy, without having to pay new retail. There are those in our community who have the the reputation of being cheap. Think of it as applied thrift.

Good Shopsmiths are available used all of the time. If that is what you want to use, then the difference between used and new will load up a lumber rack with some very nice materials.

My talents and resources changed after I dropped the big money on the new Shopsmith. I took the first of now six classes at the local adult education, and am now well down the slippery slope.

But is it ever a great slide!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

I mentioned the ads earlier. This week's Reminder paper has for the first time, a Delta contactor's saw with Unifence, but is also had One B-D saw, Four Craftsman RAS, Three Craftsman table, and FIVE Shopsmiths.

While I hardly ever see things of real interest, not a week goes by that does not have Craftsman table saws and Shopsmiths. My guess is that people buy cheap saws at Sears and never use them, and others see the demo of the Shopsmith and think it looks like a great hobby and buy one. They get caught up in the moment and don't really find out what they need or want to do.

I went the cheap saw route and then decided to stick around and upgraded.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Hi Don

That's too much of an open question with too many variables for anyone, except by luck, to give you an answer that best suits you. If you are completely new to woodworking you are not going to have the knowledge to asses the recommendations.

I'd suggest you make a careful and unbiased survey of the location where you are going to work. Some of the things to consider is power available, ventilation, suitability for creating dust and noxious fumes (woodworking is pretty good at both), actual work space (for assembly) after a work bench has been put in and the impact of stand alone tools vs. other types, storage both for stock, tools not being used at the moment, finishing supplies, and a myriad of other things that generally occupy space in the shop, and of course heat/air.

While you are doing that I'd also suggest a trip to the library for some books on the basics as well as a trip to the local news stand to get every magazine on the subject. Subscribe to a couple that you are comfortable with and order every free catalog you find listed.

Check and see if there are any adult ed classes for woodworking locally and take one if there is. It's a great way to actually try the tools under supervision without laying out a lot of cash. If you have a woodworking store locally drop in, poke around, get to know the staff and ask them about, and check the phone book for, any local clubs or guilds.

Finally, once you think you have some idea of the basics start small on you projects and don't buy a tool till you need it, understand why you need it, and are aware of all the options available to perform the functions of that tool. There are almost always at least three. Try to challenge yourself a bit more with each project.

It should be noted that another drawback in off the cuff tool recommendations is that just about every woodworker I know finds a niche, a certain type of project that they prefer over others and that niche can effect emphasis of your tool buying and where the bulk of the tool budget goes.

Good luck

Reply to
Mike G

And the problem with Ginsu knives is? Not enough tomatoes or cans?

Reply to
Len

Just the way they are sold. They actually do work for a while and I even own one. Ed

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski