Shop lights

Yet you still top post. :-p

Reply to
-MIKE-

It's not about the tube getting hot. It's about the semiconductor junction heating. Without a *really* good heatsink, they will overheat. Most are *way* under designed.

Reply to
krw

I agree.

I've changed 1, of 10, shop T-8's in 14 years.

I keep them on 24/7.

Reply to
Swingman

I have recently bought a couple of these, one 7" and 11".

They have a standard E26 "base" so they can be used in a standard fixture. I replaced the bulb in the porcelain fixture near the service panel with the 7" version. Much, much brighter.

My daughter's apartment has a kitchen light with a round shade and a socket for a single bulb, similar to this:

I replaced the single bulb with the 11" size and it not only fills the shade nicely but spreads the light much more widely. It was so much brighter that it took her a few days to get used to it.

On the subject of brightness, I also found the LED shop lights and those flush mount units to be almost painfully bright after I installed them. It took a few days for me to get used to them. I think the additional brightness drew my eyes to them and that's what made them "uncomfortable". After a few days, I think my brain adapted and they stopped bothering me. My daughter noticed the same thing with her kitchen fixture. At first she wanted me to take it out, but I suggested she try it for a few days and now she fine with it.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

On 11/14/2016 8:17 AM, Swingman wrote: ...

OTOH, earlier this summer I changed out the shop tubes for first time in

15 yr since came back to the farm and installed them as one of first items of business in setting up a work area in preparation for the reroof/restoration project. They've been quite intermittent in operation most of that time...
Reply to
dpb

About a year ago, I bought 3 of these from HD. They were wire in, not screw in. I liked them, nice and bright.

Within 3 months, one began flickering badly. Another month or so and a second began flickering, A month or so later the flickering was so bad that they were unuseable so both were replaced with similar incandescent bulb fixtures. The replaced lights had a 5 year warranty but I didn't bother with it, HD receipt was long gone and even if I had it, the warranty has a "not OUR fault" clause' moreover, the only remedy was repair or replace and I didn't want another..

Four or five months later, the third began flickering too. It is still flickering, light outbut is maybe 10% of the original. It too will be replaced when I get around to it. That's $90 + 7% tax down the drain. No more LEDs for me.

Reply to
dadiOH

Well, you gets what you pays for. It's quite dishonest of HD to imply that these are commerical quality fixtures, but that's par for the course with most mass market crap nowadays.

It also turns out that the flickering in those fixtures is sometimes caused by chafed wiring, which is easily repaired.

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

FWIW, I never assume any quality or reputation based on the name on the box, the side of the truck, etc. "Commercial Electric", "Quality First Roofing and Siding", etc. don't mean jack to me.

It's a shame that some people are fooled, but it sure does happen.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Or faulty switches. In my case, both switches and wiring were fine.

Reply to
dadiOH

I didn't think they were "commercial" grade. I assumed they would work fine in a residence for more than a few months.

Reply to
dadiOH

That was Scott's (and my) point.

The name on the box is "Commercial Electric", which might make some people

*think* that the fixtures are commercial grade. Scott feels it is dishonest to even imply that they are commercial grade by using the word "Commercial" on the box, even if it's just the name of the product line. I was simply saying that I, for one, am not in any way fooled by the name on the box. I can, however, certainly see those words fooling some people.
Reply to
DerbyDad03

It's also why I can't tell the difference between black,

+1
Reply to
woodchucker

Oh, OK

Reply to
dadiOH

FWIW. The bulbs that HD and the likes sell are some what unique to each brand store. I have called the manufacturer, given them the numbers off of the bulbs and they can tell me that I either bought them from HD, Lowes, Or Sam's Club. They never need a receipt or proof of purchase for a free replacement but some times might want the defective one back. Every manufacturer has paid for return shipping when asked to return.

Reply to
Leon

Actually, that yellow color is a phosphor; LED illumination starts with a blue LED (sharp spectrum line) and generates other wavelengths with phosphors. Fluorescents start with ultraviolet (from mercury in the gas of the tube) and generate visible light with phosphors.

Reply to
whit3rd

Excuse me for using the wrong terminology. But with out the yellow you get blue, the point I was trying to make. ;!)

Reply to
Leon

It's really the opposite of a filter. You're adding individual colors (from phosphors) to get a perceived color, rather than starting with all colors and filtering out the ones you don't want. If you look at the spectrum through a filter, an incandescent with a filter will produce a continuous spectrum. A fluorescent or LED will produce bright lines with nothing between. That's why fluorescent and LED tubes have problems with color "purity".

Reply to
krw

Reply to
Martin Eastburn

So, Larry, what's the verdict? Have you purchased and installed those Costo lights yet?

I'd be interested in hearing your verdict after they're up and running.

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

And, as we used to point out to those using that as an excuse, before the "www came along ...":

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text. Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing? A: Top-posting. Q: What is the most annoying thing in e-mail?

Reply to
Swingman