shelac

I used to have a website that sold shellac flakes at a very reasonable price. I thought it might be shellacflakes.com or something. Can someone help me out?

Thanks

Reply to
speedbuggy

SonomaProducts.com

was founded by someone here on r.w, then sold to another party. It's still online, but may not be taking orders anymore.

Reply to
fredfighter

Google it. Found 2 brands. Georg

Reply to
George G

woodfinishsupply.com and shellac.net (same company) are out of business though the websites are still visible. Their prices look so good because they haven't been updated for a long time.

Try us:

also available at Woodcraft,
and others.

Reply to
Ron Hock

In MHO, I think one of the better sites for learning and buying finishing products is Jeff Jewitt's site, Homestead Finishing Products.

I love shellac... my favorite finish!

Good Luck,

Dennis Slabaugh, Hobbyist Woodworker

Dennis

Thanks for the info. Sad to see those nice folks in Mendocino go out of business. It was always a nice visit for me when vacationing or abalone diving in the area.

One question and one suggestion.

Q: How easy\efficient is it to dewax normal shellac by "skimming" after mixing? I know you offer dewaxed but I need to do some color studies and Hock is only available in 1lbs.

Suggestion: It would be nice if there was a "sampler" kit so I could try the various colors to see which one I really want for my project.

I am currently try> speedbuggy wrote:

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

You can get a 1 lb bag of waxy Orange Shellac for $14 from Lee Valley or $15 from Homestead (shipping extra).

If you mix it up and let it separate (keeping it a bit warm helps this along), then you can easily decant the wax free shellac. At this price point, it could be cost effective if you are using less expensive denatured alcohol.

On the other hand, if you use Behkol or the anhydrous denatured alcohol, you are spending more on solvent that remains with the waxy residue, relative to the cost of the flakes.

Generally, I think you won't be able to beat Homestead's pricing on dewaxed; from $19/lb for orange & garnet, to $26 for the "ultra pale".

Mind you, I have nothing against Hock shellac and would order from him anytime. The price difference is small.

Reply to
Jim Weisgram