Sawbench/workhorse

After my original post to abpw I got a couple of e-mails asking about the strange top on this thing. I've added some photos to the web page (link below) that should help to answer those questions.

Morris Dovey

construction lumber?

Reply to
RayV

| Morris Dovey wrote: || After my original post to abpw I got a couple of e-mails asking || about the strange top on this thing. I've added some photos to the || web page (link below) that should help to answer those questions. | | Great idea! My only question is where do you buy furniture grade | construction lumber?

Thanks. The two-by SPF came from my local Menards. I dug through the pile to find decent boards, then ran 'em thru the jointer and planer when I got back to the shop. After assembly I spent about ten minutes running a 1/4 sheet sander over the surfaces I cared about. Construction grade doesn't _need_ to look ugly. :-)

BTW, it is important to joint the top edges of the 2x4 top supports to ensure that the 2x6 tops make a flat surface. DAMHIKT

Morris Dovey

"Morris Dovey" wrote

Those sawhorses are smarter than some of my cousins!

Looks good Morris.

Do they stack too?

Reply to
Lee Michaels

You should see the Queen Anne jewelry armoire I made out of 2x's.

PS: OK, I was kidding, but now I feel a strange impulse to try it.

Reply to
boorite

| Do they stack too?

They do; but each horse adds 5" to the stack - so you probably wouldn't very many in a stack. Other than to verify that they're stackable, I've never actually done that - most of mine end up as tool stands when the project I've built 'em for is done (all of the others except the two my ex burned up [don't ask] have ended up as gifts).

Morris Dovey

com'on entertain us

Reply to
RayV

Morris:

These are great! How about sharing some rough idea of the angles used, etc. Or even just a quick sketch?

Thanks for posting!

MJ Wallace

Reply to
mjmwallace

| These are great! How about sharing some rough idea of the angles | used, etc. Or even just a quick sketch?

All angles are either 80 or 90 degrees. All parts except the front leg started out cut square at 30 inches. The front leg I cut a bit long and trimmed flush with my PC690 router after assembly.

Adjust the leg length so that the overall height is comfortable for you. Adjust the length of the top to suit the intended purpose. I have a disk sander atop one of these and a 1" belt sander on another; and may build another pair about 2" taller and 10" or so shorter. While building the most recent pair of horses, I discovered that pocket joinery works really well - it allows leaving the top surface free of screws (nice for planes and chisels). I drove #8 x 2 1/2" washer-head square drive screws with coarse thread and twisted 'em really tight with a hand driver.

The idea of making all those photos was to avoid having to make a sketch. If enough people want/need plans, I'll make them available for purchase or barter - 'cause that's a lot like work for me.

I'll warn that there's a certain amount of challenge in the assembly of these things - they're perfectly simple and incredibly useful; but the people who build these will either laugh with me or swear at me while the first one goes together. After the first it becomes easier, I promise. :-)

Morris Dovey

Well Morris, I was just putting the finishing touches on the plans when the computer froze up. Of course, I hadn't saved in a significant amount of time. Will have to start over. When I'm done, I'll send them to you if you want to post them on your site.

Reply to
CW

I just opened my last save before the crash. A blank template titled "Dovey Sawbench". At least I got it named. :)

Reply to
CW

| Well Morris, I was just putting the finishing touches on the plans | when the computer froze up. Of course, I hadn't saved in a | significant amount of time. Will have to start over. When I'm done, | I'll send them to you if you want to post them on your site.

Good - thanks! I'll gladly post yours until I'm shamed into posting one of my own. It occurred to me (belatedly) that it might be helpful if I combined plans with photos of each step of the assembly proocess.

[ When I built my first, I knew exactly what I wanted to end up with - and I had all the parts cut correctly - but I felt like I was acting out the Abbott and Costello ironing board skit when I tried to put those pieces together... ]

I suspect that it'd be best to post the plan as a GIF or JPG - so people without CAD packages can use them.

Morris Dovey

"CW" told this tale of woe

That is what we call a work in progress.

I can relate.

Reply to
Lee Michaels