Sanding sealer or pre-stain conditioner

Are these basically one in the same? is the prestain conditioner virtually thinned sanding sealer? I'm finishing my fir end/sofa tables and want avoid any potential blotchyness. I have a gallon of oxford sanding sealer (laquer) that i would thin and spray then sand with 220 before staining..... worth the risk? or just buy some pre-stain conditioner.... thanks

Reply to
mcgyver

No. Wood conditioners are typically more like clear stain. They are designed to soak in and seal the extra porous areas so your colored stain won't.

So, you're going to practice on scrap...

Sealing the surface with a thinned finish before staining is different than "conditioning" and usually referred to as "spit coating". I prefer spit coats under "pro" pigment stains, but have not had good luck under home center products.

Both methods will work, but may produce different end results.

If you don't try your methods on scrap, you're practicing on your furniture. If you have to ask these questions, you need to practice.

Reply to
B A R R Y