Sanding glass?

I have a few pieces of 3/32" glass that are just slightly larger than what I need.

If I could get about 1/32" off of one side that would be fine.

I tried the belt sander with some medium grit...it will smooth the surfqace somewhat but I don't get any material removal.

(I know -- it's hard sh**)

Anyway....any tips?

Either a special paper for the belt sander or something I can put on the drill press?

If it's something that will take forever, I'll just junk these pieces.

Reply to
mkr5000

I have seen my glass guy use a belt sander with a blue zirconium belt on it to cut down thin glass for out of square windows.

As always, YMMV.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

diamond grinder or wet belt sander. take it to a stained glass shop or someone who does stained glass. they'll probably do the job for a few dollars and take only a few minutes.

if you're going to do this yourself, you need carbide belts to grind glass easily. failure modes include shattering the glass due to heat buildup. protect yourself (eyes, facemask, apron, long sleeves/pants, etc). don't breath the dust. do you know for sure that the glass is non-tempered? if not, prepare for an explosion. you can't trim tempered glass.

regards, charlie

charlie

Gotcha.

Thanks guys...I'll try that blue belt first.

Mcmaster carr may have it.

Reply to
mkr5000

If I can't find it at Mcarr....any online places I can get these belts you know of?

Reply to
mkr5000

i use

charlie

On Tue, 21 Oct 2008 13:51:37 -0600, mkr5000 wrote (in article ):

I've seen them at Sears.

-Bruce

Reply to
Bruce

Me, too. In fact I bought my last ones there. I use them for sharpening.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

RE: Subject

Cut a fair amount of glass in my youth.

Based on that experience, my suggestion is to find a commercial shop with a water jet to trim panes to size.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I found an abrasive web site with belts for glass:

I was looking for a link, I found a lot of reference to the need to lubricate with water, lots of water.

(by the way, I know nothing about the above link, never done any business with them.)

Reply to
Phil Again