salvaging hardwood floors ?

Most hardwood has grooves in the bottom - can't use it upsidedown. I like a stanley "wonerbar" or equivalent for pulling flooring and a lot of other jobs.

Reply to
clare

----------------------------------------------- Stanley "wonerbar", AKA, The International house key.

A stanley "wonerbar" and a 2# drill hammer gives you access to almost anything.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A friend made long wooden wedges which he drove with a sledge hammer and the flooring rolled up. He then drove out the nails from below and managed to salvage and reuse a good portion of the flooring.

Reply to
joeljcarver

One _could_ sand them down. Lots of work and it wouldn't do any good because there is a sizeable gap between the tongues and grooves on the bottom

Reply to
dadiOH

a stanley "wonerbar" or equivalent for pulling flooring and a lot of other jobs.

Most hardwood wide floor boards, today, have grooves on the bottom side. I don't recall ever seeing grooves on the bottom of old(*?) flooring. Rmo' s 1960's flooring may or may not have grooves.

He states the flooring is "strip oak", so I'm assuming the boards are 2" wi de, with a (typical?) slight oval tongue on one edge. I'm supposing the 2 " boards are not grooved on the bottom side.

My shop has 2" oak flooring and there are spots that I've repaired with fli pped and non-flipped salvaged boards. Our "old" cook house/card-playing/d ude-hangout (today called a mancave) has 2" oak flooring, that has been rep aired, similarly, on occassion. *That old cook house (somewhat remodeled) is, now, the residence of one of my nephew's. .... **and it's overall condi tion is often questionable, as per cleanliness standards.

Yep, a WonderBar, or two, is another good tool to have, handy.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Sorry - that was supposed to be "wonderbar" - but yes, you COULD get in trouble if you were walking down the street carrying one!!! (samr goes for a screwdriver or a glasscutter - and for years I almost always had a slim-jim in the truck)

Reply to
clare

Some are, some are not.The 1 3/4 inch oak in the upstairs of my 42 +/- year old house has 2 shallow round grooves the length of every board. Much of the much older flooring did not - and some VERY old strip flooring had saw kerfs the length of the boards to help prevent cupping/splitting.)I've seen it in maple and cherry flooring - 100-110 year old homes.

Reply to
clare