Reason to unplug a tool!!

The blade had slipped off the track on my band saw. I removed the cover...loosened the tension... and thought about unplugging the tool...Nahh - Nothing can happen! Well, it did and I'm damned lucky I don't have to explain a terrible outcome to anyone.

I was reaching up and about to put the blade on the upper pulley when I hit the switch...Very fortunately none of the blade was near the wheels (3 on this one) and the motor/pulley just spun freely. Am-I-ever- lucky.

From now on I won't take chances!! Now I know why Nahm gives those warnings on every program....

Keith P.

Reply to
Salmo

This is also an argument in favor of push-button switches instead of toggle switches on power tools. You didn't say... but I'll bet you have a Delta 14" bandsaw with the open stand, right? One *big* reason I bought the closed-stand version is the push-button switch instead of the toggle switch.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I like push button switches, too.

However, depowered machines never, ever, start.

If they do, call the "Weekly World News"! (A.K.A. "The Paper" in "So, I Married an Axe Murder)

Reply to
B A R R Y

Keith.. glad you learned that lesson without damage to body parts... thanks for sharing..

I use to think that those removable switch handles that tools come with now were kind of silly, but because of stories like yours, I've been taking them off before blade changes and things... Always better safe than sorry... Mac

mac davis

Toggle or paddle? I looked at the picture of it on Amazon and couldn't even see a switch. I prefer the paddles over the push buttons just because they're easier to stop. I have reached over for the stop button without looking and pressed the start button a couple times before realizing I was hitting the wrong button.

It depends a lot not just on the type of switch, but where the switch is located. My drill press has a toggle, but it's in a place my hands aren't going to go anywhere near.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

While I certainly believe in unplugging all machines prior to working on them or setting them up, the last time I changed the blade on my RAS, I crawled under the stand to get to the plug and slipped a disk in my back. Down for three days.

Some days you just can't win :~)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Fortunately I don't have to crawl under the band saw.

Yes..It was a toggle switch and the saw is a Beaver-Rockwell 11 incher....No matter what it is, from now on I'm unplugging it!!!

Keith P.

Reply to
Salmo

Fortunately I don't have to crawl under the band saw.

Yes..It was a toggle switch and the saw is a Beaver-Rockwell 16 incher....No matter what it is, from now on I'm unplugging it!!!

Keith P.

Reply to
Salmo

Doug,

Do you mean "magnetically-latching"? As in ac-magnetically-latched motor-starter with momentary contact switch to initiate latch?

Definitely the way to go if possible, but trust none, ever.

Enjoy all digits, J

Reply to
barry

Not in this case, no, although that's certainly the type I prefer (and have, on my table saw and shaper).

The push-button switch on my Delta 14" closed-stand BS is completely mechanical. Even so, it's clearly *far* less likely to be accidentally bumped on than is a simple toggle switch such as Delta provides on the open-stand version of the same saw.

Indeed. It takes only a few seconds to unplug the tool. Hardly worth risking one's fingers for.

Reply to
Doug Miller

B A R R Y wrote in news:2dSRg.7910$Ij.4202 @newssvr14.news.prodigy.com:

*snip*

I like to try at least one tool once during my time wood working. It's always a good idea to make sure the tool's not possessed!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

It should be a comforting feeling to see the electrical plug before servicing any power tool. Good to hear there was no accident.

Reply to
Phisherman