Re: Schutte Lumber Burns

- Dan Hartung -

> Note that some studies show mental disorder as an underlying cause in > > under 10 percent of arsonists. The sexual-release analogue of

pyromania

> -- often depicted in movies -- is actually very rare. In the current > > DSM-IV, pyromania is only diagnosed when no other syndrome can be > > identified to explain it, e.g. schizophrenia-based paranoia,

antisocial

> disorder (fka "psychopathy") [which would imply aggressive anger against > > a specific target], or histrionic disorder [applied to

attention-seekers].

- Hopper -

Which is a rather curious way to say it. I'm fascinated at the DSM > definition of pyromania as you've written. I am puzzled by one thing: it > seems that ten percent is awful low. But perhaps I'm viewing it in the wrong > light. To clarify, you're saying that true anti-social causes for arson or > mental disorder are the minority of arson cases, with the balance being > things like revenge or insurance fraud? > > I don't mean to sound like I'm arguing with you (since this is more towards > the studies you've mentioned), but wouldn't a person almost by

definition

have a mental disorder if they set fires with the express purpose of > destroying something?

- Nehmo - Don't confuse DSM-IV classifications with science. They're really just a psycho-babble way to put a derogatory label on somebody. Who has a "disorder" and who doesn't is not clearly defined. But aside form that, yes, setting fires, by this classification system, can mean a disorder that stands on its own. See the "coding note" below.

DSM-IV Criteria for Mental Disorders

control disorders
"Pyromania· More than once, the patient has deliberately and purposefully set fires. · Before the fire-setting, the patient experiences tension or excited mood. · The patient is interested in or attracted to fire and its circumstances and associations (such as firefighting apparatus, uses or aftermath of fire). · The patient experiences gratification, pleasure or relief when setting fires or experiencing their consequences. · These fires are not set: for profit to express a political agenda to conceal crimes to express anger or revenge to improve the patient's living circumstances in response to a delusion or hallucination as a result of impaired judgment* · The fire-setting is not better explained by Antisocial Personality Disorder, Conduct Disorder or Manic Episode.

Coding Note

*Of course, setting any fire at all would usually be interpreted as evidence of impaired judgment. What this criterion tries to express is the faulty judgment usually associated with other Axis I disorders as dementia, Mental Retardation and Substance Intoxication."

Reply to
Nehmo Sergheyev