Re: OT - Older Than Dirt Quiz - Part II

=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0=A0My mother sent me this a few days back. And, I can remembember every damn thing on the quiz. What the Hell happened? I shouldn't even be 30 yet. Damn. Older Than Dirt Quiz:

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom. =A0=A0 1. Blackjack chewing gum =A0=A0 2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water =A0=A0 3. Candy cigarettes =A0=A0 4. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles =A0=A0 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes =A0=A0 6. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers =A0=A0 7. Party lines =A0=A0 8. Newsreels before the movie =A0=A0 9. P.F. Flyers =A0=A0 10. Butch wax =A0=A0 11. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933) =A0 =A0 12. Peashooters =A0=A0 13. Howdy Doody =A0=A0 14. 45 RPM records =A0=A0 15. S&H Green Stamps =A0=A0 16. Hi-fi's =A0=A0 17. Metal ice trays with lever =A0=A0 18. Mimeograph paper =A0=A0 19. Blue flashbulb =A0=A0 20. Packards =A0=A0 21. Roller skate keys =A0=A0 22. Cork popguns =A0=A0 23. Drive-ins =A0=A0 24. Studebakers =A0=A0 25. Wash tub wringers JOAT

Oh yea!!!

  1. Slide Rules
  2. 78 RPM records and players
  3. aviator caps
  4. fender skirts
  5. pettie coats
  6. Saturday moring cartoon serials (like micky mouse, ruff & ready
  7. fly paper
  8. lucky strip green
  9. turtle neck sweaters
  10. double root beer floats
  11. chocolate coke
  12. red & blue birch beer
  13. grandmother clocks
  14. granddaughter clocks
  15. penny candy
  16. penny loafers
  17. punch out candy contests
  18. the ice cream man
  19. moon hub caps
  20. weekly comic (funny) books
  21. pop botttle deposits
  22. ceiing fans in stores for AC
  23. penny parking meters
  24. CB radios
  25. ditch day at school (speficed day everyone cut classes)
  26. taps on shoes
  27. Caption midnight or Jack Armstrong
  28. Roy Rogers horse
  29. Blue swede shoes
  30. cuff links
  31. wash boards
  32. sky king
  33. rin-tin-tin
  34. mighty mouse
  35. car hops with roller skates
  36. McDonalds first hamburger
  37. Eight track tapes
  38. 4 track tapes
  39. reel to reel tape recorders
  40. 2" VCR tape & recorders
  41. knock hocky
  42. Summer recreation at school
  43. marbles
  44. jacks
  45. Buster Keaton
  46. going around dizzy block
  47. Buck Rogers
  48. Fibber McGee's closet
  49. Tennessee Ernie & Mr. Ford
  50. Red Skelton
  51. The Keystone Cops
  52. Carom
  53. rubber snow boots
  54. Dick Tracy
  55. . I remember the first digital watches were LED type
82 B&W TV 83 fountain pens 84 ink wells & pens & blotters
  1. sneaking into the drive-in
  2. Celluloid
  3. Bakelite
  4. Mica (Ising glass in coal stove door)
  5. Solar heat
  6. Bed warmers
  7. hot water bottle
  8. Flappers & bobbed hair
  9. Poodle skirts
  10. Raggity Ann & Andy
  11. Jimmy Rogers & Hank Williams
  12. Zane Grey
  13. Buddy L
  14. Steam Locomotives
  15. Erector set
100 tTnker Toys, Lincoln Logs & American Bricks 101. yo-yos

If you remembered! 0-25 =3D You're still young =A0=A0 If you remembered 25-50 =3D You are getting older If you remembered 51-75 =3D Don't tell your age, If you remembered 76-101 =3D You're older than dirt!

Reply to
Joe "Woody" Woodpecker

Clackers. (glass balls on a string hung from a ring)

Count all the ones that you remember not the ones you were told about! Ratings at the bottom.

  1. Blackjack chewing gum
  2. Wax Coke-shaped bottles with colored sugar water 3. Candy cigarettes
  3. Soda pop machines that dispensed bottles 5. Coffee shops with tableside jukeboxes
  4. Home milk delivery in glass bottles with cardboard stoppers
  5. Party lines
  6. Newsreels before the movie
  7. P.F. Flyers
  8. Butch wax
  9. Telephone numbers with a word prefix (Olive-6933)
  10. Peashooters
  11. Howdy Doody
  12. 45 RPM records
  13. S&H Green Stamps
  14. Hi-fi's
  15. Metal ice trays with lever
  16. Mimeograph paper
  17. Blue flashbulb
  18. Packards
  19. Roller skate keys
  20. Cork popguns
  21. Drive-ins
  22. Studebakers
  23. Wash tub wringers JOAT

[...]

If you remembered! 0-25 = You're still young If you remembered 25-50 = You are getting older If you remembered 51-75 = Don't tell your age, If you remembered 76-101 = You're older than dirt!

Reply to
Mark Hopkins

102. Doctors smoking cigarettes during office visits 103. Oleo 104. Raw eggs in home-made ice cream 105. Studebakers 106. Wristwatches with hands that went around 107. Mechanical typewriters 108. Hand-cranked cash registers 109. Sock hops 110. Kids carrying a .22 out of the city limits to practice target shooting without adult supervision -- & buying the ammo with no proof of age

-- Howard Lee Harkness Texas Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor

snipped-for-privacy@CHL-TX.com Low-cost Domain Registration and Hosting!

Howard

I won a really nice alloy log/log slide rule in a math contest in high school. Still got it. Wonder how much it would fetch on eBay?

(combing my gray hair, holding my comb with wrinkled hands)

-- Howard Lee Harkness Texas Certified Concealed Handgun Instructor

snipped-for-privacy@CHL-TX.com Low-cost Domain Registration and Hosting!

Howard

Dr. Boatwright was a trip. Told me I needed to quit smoking. Said the first thing I had to do was decide I really wanted to quit, deep down inside. Then find a mountain, climb to the top, and hurl myself off.

Huh? I'm wearing one right now. It's not a mechanical movement though. Quartz. I hate digital watches. Time is an analog thing.

Learned on an old Royal with no 1 key.

Yup.

Nope.

Reply to
Silvan

111. The ice man putting ice into your icebox (and the three cornered sign you hung in the window to tell him how big of a block you wanted)
Reply to
David Hall

1?? Davey Crockett and Indian leg wrestling
Reply to
JMWEBER987

Ooooo. Those things should be banned - the balls'll fracture and put yer eye out.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

[snippage]

I once used the phrase "it's about 20 minutes of seven" in response to my grandson's query. That earned me a blank stare. Taking that as a request for further explanation, I related that to the hands on the clock and it being the same as 40 minutes after. Then, which is the same as 6:40. Might be useful information some day. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

I grew up digital. 6:40. I got confused by geezers who insisted on using strange terminology like "it's around a quarter 'til seven" to describe the time 6:40:32.

Then something changed. I can't put my finger on what, really. I just decided keeping track of time with digital precision is silly. I also got far less hung up on punctuality.

My Casio Databank is still in a drawer around here somewhere, but I'm on my third Timex Expedition now. I killed the first two by getting them caught on things and ripping the band off so many times that the little metal holes are wallowed out. They still run. None of them tell the same time, and I like it that way.

It's about a quarter 'til noonish. Happy new year. Hope your head isn't throbbing as badly as mine is. :)

Reply to
Silvan

snipped-for-privacy@cs.com (David Hall) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@mb-m02.news.cs.com:

112. Red Ryder And Littlebeaver 113. Rootie Kazootie 114. Tige and Buster Brown(That's my dog, Tige. He lives in a shoe........)
Reply to
Jaime Littlebeaver

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JMWEBER987) wrote in news:20040101010435.16180.00001393 @mb-m22.aol.com:

1?? Hand Crank Victrola 1?? Kerosine (Coal Oil) Lamps with a thin glass chimney
Reply to
Jaime Littlebeaver

Whatsa "stick" shift? You seem to be implying there's some other way to change gears.

We have a lot of clocks. Living room, above the fireplace; kitchen, dining room, four alarm clocks, microwave, VCR, DVD player, TV, Playstation2... None of them tell the same time.

That brings back painful memories of my great grandfather. He always did love a pocket watch.

Reply to
Silvan

115 LEMAC camel spelled backwards a 40s quiz program. They ended each show saying how many cigeretts they sent to our boys overseas or in hospitals.
Reply to
RPRESHONG

The genuine ones were *NOT* glass. they were a hard, high-resilience phenolic plastic.

Then there were "super balls".

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

I grew up analog whether it was the watch or looking at the sun vs horizon. When I went into nursing they would allow digital watches, so I just never got one. Digression back to the original post, what I miss are: the coed at the beginning of the Texaco News Hour, Bonomo's Turkish Taffy, Root Beer Fizzies in my cheek, riding with Hutch the milkman on his horse and wagon and getting chunks of ice in the summer, and the blacksmith across from my Grandfather's office. Oh yeah, and not worrying about strangers. Dave in Fairfax

Reply to
dave

And he's got a fluoroscope, just for you!

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Old broadcasters never die.....

My wristwatch is synchronized with WWVB in Boulder CO. Dead on all the time. It is still satisfying to hear the network time tick while my watch rolls over the hour.

Remove TIE to reply.

Reply to
Bill Reynolds

Larry Blanchard notes:

Wasn't that the same show where Froggy plucked his magic twanger?

Charlie Self "If you want to know what God thinks of money, just look at the people he gave it to. " Dorothy Parker

Charlie Self

'Capt. Andy' . . . Andy Devine . . . "HEY, Kids . . . what time is it ??" Had one of those frogs . . . complete with 'squeeker'. That phrase STILL breaks me up - of course now mind is in the gutter . . .

Ron Magen Backyard Boatshop - 'Officially - an Old Fart; with 'Older Than Dirt' certification

Reply to
Ron Magen