Purpleheart again

"Max Mahanke" schreef

However, when faced

with the question, what causes purpleheart to revert from the vivid purple to its purplish brown color over time he didn't know for sure. In researching this on the web, one camp says exposure to UV over time and the other camp says oxidation. The UV camp says use a finish with UV blockers and the oxidation camp says use a water-borne finish.

*** As I don't know for sure either, and there is a never ending stream of new finishes being introduced, again the question : "What finish will let purpleheart keep its purple color?" PvR
Reply to
P van Rijckevorsel

To add to the discussion, I have a plane from Steve Knight, about 4 years old, made of purpleheart. It's barely been exposed to sunlight (basement shop) and is as purple now as when I got it. I think it's just oiled and waxed... So I would say oxidation doesn't enter into it.

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

Dont you think the oil and wax would keep air from touching the wood, thus preventing oxidation? A poly finish will also keep air from touching the wood. So I dont think oxidation is the problem either. For what it's worth... we have hardwood floors factory finished with all the UV protection blah blah blah and they have still turned color in only 3 years ....only place they didnt change color was in closets, etc. So I dont put much faith in UV protection.

Reply to
Tom Woodman

Reply to
Max Mahanke