pin OaK?

just had a pin oak fall in my mothers front yard is this wood any good for woodworking?(worth have a mini mill make planks?)

thanks Len

Reply to
leonard

Ten years ago I took down two huge pin oaks - maybe 30 to 32" at the base. I had them milled, dried etc. . . . I wouldn't do it again. The wood is a washed out, unattractive color, and full of knots. I ended up using some of the material for shop grade stuff, but frankly, it was barely worth that. IMO, Pin Oak is not a quality furniture grade wood.

Rick

Rick

thanks for the info

Reply to
Leonard Shapiro

Naw it's worthless, You should get rid of it as soon as possible. In point of fact I'm such a nice guy I'll relieve you of the burden :-)

Seriously, It is nice turning wood. AS branch came off a Pin Oak in a friend's yard. I took a section and turned a bowl and 2 hollow forms..

It has a cream collored sapwood and a darker grey-brown heartwood, really nice.

Reply to
Bradford Chaucer