OT:Humor

On 7/2/2005 10:23 AM Larry Jaques mumbled something about the following:

It's possible that we'll get time for the tour, as it looks like we'll=20 be in Vegas for 2 days now.

We don't have anything planned for Grand Canyon, other than stopping and =

taking in the view for a couple hours. We don't make any specific plans =

and kind of do things on the fly, just as long as we get our 500 miles=20 per day in, which is pretty easy to do, as we made a 6 hr stop in St=20 Louis year before last, and still managed 570 miles that day.

Not sure if we'll make it down to Sedona, since that will be=20 backtracking a bit from Grand Canyon City to Hoover Dam.

We're spending half a day in Yosemite and a full day in Yellowstone

500,000 is a small group, there were close to twice that many last year=20 :) and we shit anywere we want :) Actually, they have thousands of=20 porta potties scattered all over the place.

Thanks

--=20 Odinn RCOS #7 SENS(less) SLUG

"The more I study religions the more I am convinced that man never worshipped anything but himself." -- Sir Richard Francis Burton

Reeky's unofficial homepage ...

'03 FLHTI ...........
'97 VN1500D .........
Biker Net ...
Riders Assoc .
snipped-for-privacy@ngynagnovxre.arg to reply

Reply to
Odinn

On 7/1/2005 11:02 PM Richard Clements mumbled something about the following:

We've had our share of buffalo close calls, and expect more (we tend to ride in the more out of the way places where one is likely to encounter these beasts. See a previous post I had with a link of our bikes next to the buffalo in Custer.

Reply to
Odinn

On 7/2/2005 8:01 PM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

There's a lot you can see and do when you cover 500 miles in a day. 2 years ago, we spent 6 hrs in St Louis and still managed 570 miles that day. Last year, we did 400 miles in one day through the Ozarks, managed to go to the have lunch at "Top of the Ozarks", ride a ferry across Bull Shoals, visit Branson MO, and never hit a single mile of interstate. Pictures can be seen at

miles is only 7 hrs of actual travel time on non-interstate (9 hrs on the most twisty of hiways), and only 6 hrs of interstate, leaving between 5 and 8 hrs of daylight to see and do lots of things.

Reply to
Odinn

On 7/2/2005 6:49 PM John T mumbled something about the following:

I wouldn't feel as vulnerable in a car as on the motorcycle :)

Reply to
Odinn

Last time I drove cross country I spent 24 hours in St. Louis and did not see everything. You can take 6 hours just at the arch and surrounding area. There are a dozen restaurants worth visiting also.

Sure, you saw some highlights, but you missed so very much more.

You could have spent a week there and still not see the Ozarks.

Instead of the marathon you are doing, one vacation trip go a short distance, do it in depth, and see what is around you. That 500 miles was how many towns? How many did you stop at, meet the people, stop at the local eateries, check out the tiny museums? My dream trip is to take at least six months to cross the US and Canada. Have lunch in Beaveral, Sasketchewan then head for home.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

On 7/2/2005 10:49 PM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

I don't intend to see everything. I could spend a YEAR in St. Louis and not see everything. That's not the point.

I saw what I wanted to see, a firetruck swap meet (2 hrs), and the arch (4 hrs).

I saw what I wanted to see. I could spend 5 years in the Ozarks and not see all of it. I know, I lived there for a while.

How about I do my 2 weeks of vacation the way *I* want to do my 2 weeks of vacation and you not tell me what I want to see? I'm not there to meet all the people, I'm not out to hit every local eatery or tiny museum. I'm on the trip to hit a few highlights that *I* am interested in.

If you're only taking 6 months, you'll miss out on too many things like all the little side roads, or the people who were out of town the day you stop in that little town of 42 people.

Reply to
Odinn

You're right. It should take a year or more, but I have to stop back home to get the mail and mow the lawn.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Simple solution.

1) Turn the grass to green concrete.

2) Get a mail forwarding service like the ones that cruising sailors use.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

On 7/3/2005 1:09 AM Edwin Pawlowski mumbled something about the following:

You won't get to see it all in a year or 10 years, or 100 years. You need to take more time, you don't want to miss that dead end road to the right, or the one to the left, nor do you want to miss seeing that old burned down barn. Ah hell, you might as well forget it, you won't get to see it all anyway.

Reply to
Odinn