old wooden molding plane question

I've bought some old wooden molding planes during the past year, and before wrecking them I have a question: there is a metal depth stop that runs through the body to the sole. These seem totally stuck on all my planes. Is this metal depth stop meant to be adjustable at all? The irons themselves are adjustable for depth, but these depth stops (I am assuming they are depth stops) just don't budge at all. Any suggestions?

Kevin in Massachusetts

Reply to
kbotfrm

Yes, the brass [or steel] shoe is used to control the depth of cut and is gradually raised until the cutter has reached the desired depth. Probably needs an application of penetrating oil and some wiggling to break the rust bond loose. Bugs

Reply to
Bugs

Does the "depth stop" have a sharp edge? If so it's a "knicker", not a depth stop. It severs the wood on the side of the cut to minimize splintering

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b

Sounds like a nicker. It cleanly cuts the edge of the groove.

Dave

Reply to
David

I've never seen a moulding plane with a depth stop. This sounds like a "joint making" plane, like a rebate, or plough.

BugBear

Reply to
bugbear