Well, bad turned worse.
I had a top that I was gluing up.
Tried to flip the top , I grabbed it by the clamp ends, and due to the
weight the 2 popped off, They were grabbing by the front edge of the
clamp (bessey k).
The damn thing drops to the ground..
Ok, I start taking clamps off and my jorg head goes smashing down into
the top taking a huge divot out.
Right now taking a break. Going to have to figure whether I can save it
On Monday, April 28, 2014 1:34:36 PM UTC-5, woodchucker wrote:
Yeah, every now and then a "jorghead" comes into my shop, also.
Maybe, find the divot piece and glue it back in place? If that can be done, then maybe a little steaming will raise any other dented area(s), then sand smooth.
On Monday, April 28, 2014 4:45:23 PM UTC-5, Sonny wrote:
rg head goes smashing down into the top taking a huge divot out. Yeah, ever
y now and then a "jorghead" comes into my shop, also. Maybe, find the divot
piece and glue it back in place? If that can be done, then maybe a little
steaming will raise any other dented area(s), then sand smooth. Sonny
Since you were gluing up, the top's boards aren't glued together, yet. Can
you flip that divoted board, bottom side up?
Ooooooorrrrrr whack it a few more times with the clamps, a length of
chain, hammer the sides of screws into it, and finally give it a kick
down a flight of stairs and you have that $50 distressed look! ;~)
No... not seeing it.
I will be practicing doing dutchmans, just to make sure I can repeat it
b4 I do it. Not every day that I do this.
I have done it b4.. the goal is to keep the knife at an angle so it
scarfs... and can disappear.. that's the goal, so it can be sanded in.
Wish I had some hideglue.
Well the ply, the head dropped right into the middle of the top.
My two dutchmans during my practice were fine.
My actual one, well, less than perfect.
I was impressed with my first one. the nicest of the bunch.
The second was good, but slightly more noticeable.
I reasoned both were off because I didn't care about color.
When I did the real panel, I must have cut 3 or 4 patches from the same
cutoff (different crossbandings). Found one that was pretty close.
The other two I rounded the ends to avoid a hard corner. But that was
the difficult part, so for this one I used square. I think that might be
my downfall.. I'll wait a day, sand it out, and if I have to , redo it.
I'll tell you I have a love hate relationship with maple.
It's easy to machine, can be beautiful, curly, tiger or even plain.
But it changes grain direction so much. And its hard to plane with out
tearing out. You are fine then bang, tearout. I was able to do a large
glueup and made sure I kept the grain oriented the same way for my
bridge (sliding tabletop between to cabinets). I made sure I picked easy
to work grain for the most part. I was careful...
The edging on these ply tops is only 3" wide, but the grain is wild. And
in a matter of 3 or 4" in length changes directions twice.... remnants
of branches whatever.. man it tears out in 3 directions, and is tough in
the last direction...
Love it and hate it. Just saying. When I get it right if feels great,
when it is beating me... well... time to scrape it... but I don't feel
good about it. Right now my #80 chatters on it even skewed. so it's
hand scraping. Would really like to try a scraper plane.
My lumber racks are full of tiger maple... Love it ... Hoping it will
love me... :-)
HomeOwnersHub.com is a website for homeowners and building and maintenance pros. It is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here.
All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.