Oh crap

Well, bad turned worse.

I had a top that I was gluing up.

Tried to flip the top , I grabbed it by the clamp ends, and due to the weight the 2 popped off, They were grabbing by the front edge of the clamp (bessey k).

The damn thing drops to the ground.. Ok, I start taking clamps off and my jorg head goes smashing down into the top taking a huge divot out.

Right now taking a break. Going to have to figure whether I can save it or not.

Reply to
woodchucker

"Mike Marlow" wrote in news:ljmddr$sj8$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

I'm sure you'll be happy to dispose of the clamps as well, if he doesn't want to take the rest of them off. :-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Yeah, every now and then a "jorghead" comes into my shop, also.

Maybe, find the divot piece and glue it back in place? If that can be done, then maybe a little steaming will raise any other dented area(s), then sand smooth.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

rg head goes smashing down into the top taking a huge divot out. Yeah, ever y now and then a "jorghead" comes into my shop, also. Maybe, find the divot piece and glue it back in place? If that can be done, then maybe a little steaming will raise any other dented area(s), then sand smooth. Sonny

Since you were gluing up, the top's boards aren't glued together, yet. Can you flip that divoted board, bottom side up?

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Nope, it was post glue up. I was just trying to remove the glue that had gelled up.

Ply inner with maple edging... about 3" edging.

Tongue and grooved...

Reply to
woodchucker

Time for a few random plugs of dutchmans.

Reply to
Leon

:-(

Reply to
woodchucker

Ooooooorrrrrr whack it a few more times with the clamps, a length of chain, hammer the sides of screws into it, and finally give it a kick down a flight of stairs and you have that $50 distressed look! ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
woodchucker

LOL, I'm just not seeing it, HUH?

Reply to
Leon

No... not seeing it. I will be practicing doing dutchmans, just to make sure I can repeat it b4 I do it. Not every day that I do this.

I have done it b4.. the goal is to keep the knife at an angle so it scarfs... and can disappear.. that's the goal, so it can be sanded in.

Wish I had some hideglue.

Reply to
woodchucker

"woodchucker" wrote

Beat it all over to make it distressed, and call it an antique reproduction?

Reply to
Morgans

"Leon" wrote

You beat me to it!

Reply to
Morgans

alternatively an inlay stripe...matching one as a mirror image.

Reply to
Leon

Which is dinged, the ply or the solid wood?

Are all the edges banded already?

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

Well the ply, the head dropped right into the middle of the top.

My two dutchmans during my practice were fine. My actual one, well, less than perfect. I was impressed with my first one. the nicest of the bunch. The second was good, but slightly more noticeable.

I reasoned both were off because I didn't care about color.

When I did the real panel, I must have cut 3 or 4 patches from the same cutoff (different crossbandings). Found one that was pretty close. The other two I rounded the ends to avoid a hard corner. But that was the difficult part, so for this one I used square. I think that might be my downfall.. I'll wait a day, sand it out, and if I have to , redo it.

I'll tell you I have a love hate relationship with maple. It's easy to machine, can be beautiful, curly, tiger or even plain. Is strong. But it changes grain direction so much. And its hard to plane with out tearing out. You are fine then bang, tearout. I was able to do a large glueup and made sure I kept the grain oriented the same way for my bridge (sliding tabletop between to cabinets). I made sure I picked easy to work grain for the most part. I was careful...

The edging on these ply tops is only 3" wide, but the grain is wild. And in a matter of 3 or 4" in length changes directions twice.... remnants of branches whatever.. man it tears out in 3 directions, and is tough in the last direction...

Love it and hate it. Just saying. When I get it right if feels great, when it is beating me... well... time to scrape it... but I don't feel good about it. Right now my #80 chatters on it even skewed. so it's hand scraping. Would really like to try a scraper plane.

My lumber racks are full of tiger maple... Love it ... Hoping it will love me... :-)

Reply to
woodchucker