Newbie - Veneer

I am a newbie to woodworking. I know what wood veneer BUT... Is it a good covering for shelves in a bookcase? Is it strong? How do you install it?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Reply to
Jay Bergmaninni

Veneering is not too difficult. It just takes a little practice and a few simple tools. A few must haves: Good contact cement J roller masking tape sharp utility knife with plenty of blades straight edge

Some veneer require a solution to make it pliable.

Decide the order in which you want to veneer. I prefer to veneer faces and then the top, but you make your own preference. Cut strips of the veneer allowing plenty of over hang, this will be trimmed later. Apply contact cement on the face. Then apply on the veneer strip. Allow to dry till tacky. Apply the veneer to the work. Contact cement is just what the name implies CONTACT CEMENT. Once the two surfaces make a good contact there is no going back. Make sure you line it up right the first time!

Smooth the surface with the J roller then trim the overhang with a sharp utility knife, or you can buy a cutter specifically designed to trim veneer. I then take a palm sander and smooth the edges perfectly flat.

Now repeat the process for all the sides. When applying veneer to large surfaces (such a the top of shelf) Lay flat strips of wood shims accross the work then lay the veneer on top of the shims. These shims keep the veneer off the work so you can line everything up. Line the veneer where you want it and pull out the middle shim, press the veneer in place then remove the next shim. then so on until all the shims are out. When j rolling this large surface roll from the middle to the outside. Now trim this with a trimmer or knife, and sand the piece.

The best way to learn is to try, so what the hell, go for it!

One thing I forgot, clean the surface with a tack cloth before aplying contact cement. Also, apply cement is a WELL ventelated room, this is some nasty stuff!

Reply to
PPH

Thanks to all for your valuable information. I wasn't going to try it without some guidance from the experts.

Reply to
Jay Bergmaninni

Yes it is. It is as strong as its substrate. How you install it would require a response the size of a book. "Do you know a good book on..." would probably have been a better question. I don't have one so I can't recommend one reliably.

However, what is wrong with plywood for your shelves? Whether you veneer a substrate or use plywood to match whatever wood you are using, you still have to do an edge treatment. So, why not use plywood? It's already veneered and would take you a lot less time and effort.

Reply to
Howard Ruttan

What are you using for the shelves themselves? How wide are they? We really need more info than you're providing so far.

Scott

Reply to
Scott Brownell

I am trying to build 'built-in' bookcases with a space in between for a large-screen TV. So, picture a wall that is 9.5 feet high by 15 feet wide. I want to build two bookcases with underneath cabinets on the left of the TV, two on the right. One unit connecting both side over the TV. It seems daunting.

Each shelf should be around 20-30 inches wide. These shelves will be for books.

Anyone have any plans for sale?

Reply to
Jay Bergmaninni

I suspect the $/sf price for some of the veneer at

(click on "Veneer" )

might cause some to choke and scoff. But to others who know what they're looking at, Blair's stuff is pretty damn good and in the right price range for the quality. Many of the photos don't come close to doing the real thing justice.

He'd rather keep the trees alive, but if he can't he'll cut them up, wait a year or two and give them another go at being useful. He's got a real work bench going. The base is out of 8x8s so you know this one's going to be a serious bench. I think he's building it where it's going to be used 'cause when he's done it's going to take a fork lift to move it if he changes his mind. Will try to post some pics if he's willing.

disclaimer I have no financial connections to Saratoga Tree Service or with Blair.

charlie b

Reply to
charlie b