Moving

I've DAGS, but still looking for people's experiences with moving their shop. My upcoming move is ~600 miles and shop to be moved has the usual heavy equipment, along with the hand/power tools to go with it. (TS, BS, SCMS, DP, lathe, DC, router table)

Any advice? I will be using professional movers.

Thanks,

jc

Reply to
noonenparticular

Let the movers handle it. They are pros and know how to crate/box/move your shop. I moved my shop 400 miles with no problems. They even tossed all my lumber on the van and strapped it down.

Bob

Reply to
bob

I'm sure other here have had direct experience, but I would expect that there are "professional movers" and then there are "professional equipment movers". I wouldn't expect the former to know much beyond how to stack plates in a box and carry it to the truck. If it was the latter, then I'd let them move the stuff...with me watching.

todd

Reply to
todd

I moved coast to coast last year, using United Van Lines.

My really heavy power tools (band saw, cabinet saw, jointer, router table) were on mobile bases, they just rolled them up into the truck, and secured them. I had removed the fence and rails on the cabinet saw (mine is a Grizzly 1023SL). The more portable ones (benchtop drill press, miter saw, dedicated mortiser, benchtop planer) were wrapped on the heavy moving blankets they had. The rest of the stuff, I had already packed myself in smallish (12x12x24) boxes, padding/wrapping as needed.

It worked out well.

-jav

Reply to
Javier

I have had 8 interstate moves, all by professional movers. There are definitely differences between companies and within companies. My best suggestion is to pack as many of your small tools as possible yourself. It will affect the insurance, but in the long run you will be better off. Remove anything from your large tools that sticks out, slides, etc. If you don't, they will. Let them move all the big heavy stuff, but watch them as they do it. One of the best things to do is make sure the estimator for the job knows that these things are important to you and that you want them moved properly. Emphasizing this, up front, makes a big difference in the attitude of the people sent later. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Gerry

Reply to
Gerry Leath

Check with the moving company and see if and how they will move really heavy tools. My daughter works for a moving logistics company and says that some movers do better than others. And some won't touch that stuff at all. Research is the key. Google is your friend. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Make sure that the company you select has experience in moving heavy shop equipment and are bonded sufficiently to cover any damage that may result from their neglect. You will also want to be sure that there aren't any hidden add-on costs associated with moving such equipment. Time spent up front to contractually cover the handling of this equipment could save you a bundle. If in doubt, ask questions and get it in writing.

Martie

Reply to
Martie in MO