loose wood joints

Has anyone tried putting the tendon into hot sand for about 10minutes. Then inserting it into the mortise? This is a very old chair makers trick. I used it many times and had very few failures. I make the mortise 1/16 - 1/8" smaller that the tendon.

Evon

Reply to
Evon Barvinchack

Evon, just a note. A tendon is a hunk of flesh. Specifically it is something that attaches the muscle to a bone. It is connective tissue.

I think that you are referring to a tenon.

The only reason I mention this is the horrible visual I got from you placing a screaming person or his severed limb into hot sand.

I'm not hungry any more.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

LOL! Better than removing waist with a chisel.

Reply to
alexy

Yes, I've done this with round tenons on Windsor chairs. Seemed to work pretty well.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

As I understand, it works even better if a spoon bit was used, and the mortice slightly undercut by wobbling at the end. Reduce the diameter at the shoulder of the tenon and get a bit of ball-in-socket effect.

Reply to
George

These were blind tenons where the rails went into the legs. As there was no chance of wedging them and the timber was all equally dry, a blast of extra drying on the tenons seemed like a good idea.

Where the legs went into the seat, they were drilled with a tapered spoon bit and wedged right across.

Reply to
Andy Dingley