Leaving Air Compressor Full

Look at a state diagram for water. Below the critical temperature/pressure, increasing pressure drives the liquid/vapor equilibrium point toward more liquid/less vapor which enhances condensation in a closed container. Point for Doug.

Decreasing temperature does the same. Below the critical temperature/pressure the reverse is also true; increasing temperature enhances evaporation in a closed container. Point for Kevin/Mortimer.

Critical temperature is the temperature above which water cannot exist in a liquid state no matter how much pressure is applied. For water, that is about 374C or 705F. Critical pressure is essentially the vapor pressure at critical temperature; about 217.7 atmospheres or 3200 psi.

Also note that the pressures involved are the partial pressures of the individual gases, not the total pressure of a mixture of gases. In a container of atmospheric air at total pressure of 10 atmospheres, the partial pressure of the water vapor will vary depending on the absolute humidity of the air, but it will be much less than 10 atm.

The equilibrium point (mass of liquid vs mass of vapor) in a closed container is a function of both temperature and pressure. Doug, Kevin, and Mortimer are simply arguing opposite sides of the same coin.

Reply to
Tom Veatch

Close but not quite. It's the act of compressing the air that causes the water build up in the tank. Drain it before you use it and you'll find yourself well enough protected in practical terms, for the life of the compressor.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

It's the heat generated during compression that causes condensation to build up in the tank. Compress air with out changing the temperature and you have no condensation during that process.

Reply to
Leon

LOL, I do it all the time but obviously don't blow it where you should not and don't blow extreme pressures where you should not.

Reply to
Leon

It is actually the cooler tank and air lines that causes the vapor in the heated air to condense. That is why large systems use refrigerated dryers. The moisture is already in the air, compressing it concentrates it into a smaller area.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Yeah, we really do need a good isothermal shop compressor on the market.

... until then we'll have to live with Charles's Law. ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Are you sure that dead horse is not going to get up??? What if I kick it a couple more times? LOL

Yeah, I'm sure there are more factors that come into play past the simple fact that warm humid air meeting up with a cooler surface is going to cause condensation.

Reply to
Leon

Perhaps an electric blanket on the outside of the compressor. Then we could worry about what to do with the condensation on the outside of the tank. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Yes, but it is either split hairs this morning or go out and clean up the yard.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

| Yeah, we really do need a good isothermal shop compressor on the | market.

I'd be happy to settle for an adiabatic discussion...

Morris Dovey

"Edwin Pawlowski"

RCH's are being unnecessarily split on this subject ... it matters not that you blame death by gunshot on the gun, the shooter, or the trauma from the bullet, you're still dead.

All you guys should go back and review the components of the Ideal Gas Laws. By the time you've compressed all the science contained therein into your brain tanks, all the silly hot air on the subject will have evaporated. :)

Reply to
Swingman

ROTFLMAO..... At least you and I know what we are talking about.. ;~) LOL

Reply to
Leon

Would that theory be economically possible in this situation?

Reply to
Leon

This is simply false. Heating causes *evaporation*, not condensation.

Vapor condenses into liquid when it is either compressed, or cooled, or both. But *never* when heated unless simultaneously compressed by an even greater factor.

Reply to
Doug Miller

In theory, yes - but (as we all know) in theory there is no difference between theory and reality, but in reality there is... :-|

Morris Dovey

There, let's get this over with.

oh.. AND DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!!!

Reply to
Robatoy

After reading your post, it reminded me of the fact that in order to bottle liquid oxygen, they have to cool *and* put it under high pressure to get it to condense to a liquid, but I never would have thought to apply this principle to an everyday compressor. Good info.

Reply to
Pat Coghlan

Which one! I see quite a few in this thread! ;-) Greg

Reply to
Greg O

You quoted him so I saw what Doug Miller had to say and,,,,,

I must say, isn't it polite jesture how Doug always ends his often toxic and condecending comments with,

Regards, Doug Miller

LOL

Reply to
Leon

So Doug, I suspect you believe it is the pressure from "your firm grip" on a glass of ice water that causes the warm humid air surrounding the glass to cause condensation on the cool side of the glass.

Reply to
Leon