Lap-Sharp LS-200 horizontal sharpening center?

Has anyone had experience with the Wood Artistry Lap-Sharp LS-200 sharpening system? I saw it demonstrated at Japan Woodworker and it looked interesting. I haven't much liked my Tormek. I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks!

- afb

Reply to
adam.block

where are you located, I'd be happy to my your Tormek hehe

I have a Veritas MKII power sharpening system - which is similar in many ways to the lapsharp. I think it is absolutely the best sharpening tool for beveled edge tools - mainly chisels and plane irons for me. The jig that is used with it allows for easy and accurate setting of bevel angles - I'm not sure if the lapsharp has such a jig or not. Anyway, the MKII is probably less than half the price of the lapsharp, and I don't really see why the lapsharp can justify that much of a premium.

What don't you like about your Tormek? I'm planning on buying one in the near future for my turning and carving tools.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Hi Mike, Is there a reason for not using the Veritas system on carving tools? I have been thinking about buying on of these primarially for carving tools. DAve

Reply to
Dave W

you're talking about the MKII, right?

I suppose it would work ok, but it would be done freehand, which I don't really have the confidence to do. If you are ok with that, I'm sure it would work fine. The tormek jigs for sharpening tools seem to be extremely well thought out, and coupled with the profiled honing wheel, it seems to be a great solution for turning/carving tools. I haven't tried anything but flat tools on my MKII, so I can't say much about it directly.

Mike

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

Ditto what Mike said. I have used my MKII for mostly flat, bevelled items but most recently I've been sharpening turning tools on it free hand. They come out alright. I suppose I could build a little jig to make it more precise for free hand work, but overall, I've been very happy with the sharpener.

Mike, where to you buy the replacement abrasives? Lee Valley's got em but I was hoping for a more affordable version (heck, Lee Valley's price may just be affordable as I've yet to see anyone else carrying these types of abrasives)

Cheers, cc

Reply to
James "Cubby" Culbertson

What width of planer/jointer knives could be handled?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

All the Tormek stuff seems to be mostly pretty well priced out...I'm open to hear whether others feel it is really worth anything close to what they're asking...

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

The following was accidentally sent to email (sorry Duane, I am unused to this browser)

I was pretty disappointed with the Tormek. After reading some glowing recommendations I put my hands on one and found it didn't match my expectations. The casing flexed, it requires frequent replacement of its bushings (I am told by a heavy user) and the add-ons are priced to kill.

I bought a Scangrind 200 instead and saved a fortune. The Scangrind has a forward/reverse switch, which is a nice option.

that the accessories for the Scangrind are also expensive, though the intitial capital outlay is much smaller. Fully accessorised, it costs about the same as the entry level Tormek sans accessories.

Greg

Reply to
Groggy

I found it difficult to square my beveled edge tools to the Tormek wheel. It is also a pain to dress between the different wheel grits, and the stropping wheel clogs easily.

Since I don't turn or carve right now the horizontal wheel seemed like it could be a better fit, and i like the Lap-Sharp's quick change grit wheels. It is definitely expensive, though.

afb

Reply to
adam.block

Groggy wrote: ...

Thanks for the link, I'll go look...I was unaware of it.

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

well you can get the makita adapt it for sandpaper like I use it for and adapt it to use the tormek jigs.

makes it do about anything you want to sharpen.

Reply to
Steve Knight

the wheel diameter is 8 inches, but I think you'd need a jig to do planer and jointer knives accurately. I've heard that Veritas is going to come out with such a jig at some point, but not sure when that will be. The Tormek (so I'm told) does these tools very well, so that's another reason for getting one.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

I've seen very mixed reviews on the Tormek plus they just seem terribly overpriced to me...

The planer/jointer knife jig attachment is 2/3-rds the price of the sharpener or thereabouts...

Anybody got any input on the Makita flat wheel system?

Reply to
Duane Bozarth

Google Steve Knight . . . . . . . . . . :-)

Reply to
Lowell Holmes

I had already posted but here you go well you can get the makita adapt it for sandpaper like I use it for and adapt it to use the tormek jigs.

makes it do about anything you want to sharpen.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Thanks, Steve, I somehow missed the Makita part when I skimmed previously.

That still requires purchasing Tormek jigs which are expensive...although the base sharpener is $150 or so less which cuts the pain some.

The description in the catalogue of the Makita says it can handle up to

15" knives...is that as it comes or is that some sort of hype?
Reply to
Duane Bozarth

I just pointed out that you can make the makita do more then any other machine. It should be able to handle them. the knife older is atleast 12" but I bet longer. I have only used it for jointer knives. and then only a couple of times since I did not have a jointer for a long time. but you can make the jigs too. though most of my work is free hand.

Reply to
Steve Knight