Jigsaw jams too often

woodchucker wrote in news:oIydneDJrsT98abKnZ2dnUU7- snipped-for-privacy@ptd.net:

Yeah, my Hitachi drill does that too. Seems to be a generic problem with Hitachi chucks. Otherwise a nice drill.

John

Reply to
John McCoy

LOL, Probably refurbished because it was too hard to remember how to replace the blade. A stellar saw other than that single element.

Reply to
Leon

If you ever consider replacing, consider a Festool drill. I know, I know...

I have owned a 9.6 volt Panasonic drill/driver, the best until I bought the Festool, 2- Dewalt 9.6 volt drills/drivers, and a 12 volt Makita drill/driver and 12 volt Makita impact driver. And won an 18 volt Bosch impact.

I used the Makita impact as much as the drill up until the batteries were pooping out and I replaced with the 15 volt Festool with the attachments. Since getting this drill I on an occasion or two have used the Bosch impact, mostly as a drill so that I don't have to switch driver bits with drill bits. Anyway the Festool drills seem to have an amazing amount of power. I can start a 3" #10 deck screw into a 2x4 to fasten to another 2x4. I can drive slowly, quickly, stop, start slowly, what ever I want. I'm not sure I have ever stalled the drill.

Anyway Festool is really getting serious about selling their drills and they can be had for less than $300 these days.

Just food for thought.

A friend bought a DeWalt jig saw several years ago. You could be sawing and suddenly no longer cutting. The blade would come right out of the saw. We never quite figured out how to hold our mouths to get the saw to permanently hold the blades.

Reply to
Leon

That's still giving up 2 legs and 2 testicles .. less than $300, last time I looked they were $500 which in my mind was not worth it.

Reply to
woodchucker

I've never had a problem with my "new" (6-7YO) Bosch. It's stellar.

Reply to
krw

My Bosch does have the quick-change feature.

I don't "justify" anything to do with woodworking. It's a hobby. By definition, it can't be justified. ;-)

That would suck.

Reply to
krw

That was inevitable when B&D took them over. Used to be B&B made decent pro tools too - but hat is decades ago.

Reply to
clare

If it is a hobby and you can afford it that is enough justification. :-)

Reply to
Leon

Leon

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@news.giganews.com:

Why do I feel like I have to be over 18 to visit that site?

Oh, and guys look: FREE T-SHIRT OR CAP!

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Hey! LOL. Just bringing your attention to the new pricing.

While my lone Festool drill does not completely replace my 18 volt impact, should my impact poop out I will probably switch over to a ratchet to manually install lag screws, if the Festool drill can't drive them, but so far it does. I probable have not used the impact over 4~5 times in the last 4-1/2 years since getting the Festool drill. My Festool drill has pretty much made my impact obsolete.

FWIW I visited the Festool road show and was given the option of a Festool cap or a Festool 15 volt battery. I took the battery. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

you will not regret it especially if you do a lot of jigsawing

Reply to
Electric Comet

Hey, it you can sell used cars with ten thousand balloons and a giant flag, or two ...

Besides, Linda loves my NEW Festool hat I won for visiting their road show last month.

She wears it all the time ...

Reply to
Swingman

When I worked part time at Woodcraft, one of the power tool reps told me to always buy a factory refurbished tool over a new one. His logic was that when a tool was returned, the reason was often hard to determine. So the repair crew went through and checked everything. A more thorough testing than the new ones received.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

My rationale exactly, when I buy a refurbished/returned/scratch n'dent laptop from Dell when I need a new(er) one.

Hasn't failed me yet ...

Reply to
Swingman

Or it could be a latent defect that got through test in the first place and will again every time they do the same tests. I wouldn't worry too much about it for tools but I'd never buy any refurb electronics.

Reply to
krw

That makes perfect scene.

Reply to
Leon

I buy refurb electronics all of the time, and have for a lot of years. Never had a single problem with any of the stuff I've bought. Often times the refurb process is to simply replace the offending part with brand new and make it available. Hardly any different from buying brand new. Generally speaking they also upgrade any parts that have been superseded by revisions or updates as well.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Lucky you!

I've had Century-Link replace my DLS/wifi modem 3 times. The first two shipped to me were refurbs, neither of which solved the problem.

**NOTE: Century-Link will ship nothing BUT refurbs. NO new modems shipped to customers**

The third was also a refurb, which the C-L tech brought to my house. He tried to tell me, "that's the way it is, sometimes". I told him I was having none of it. I wanted it working right!

He finally relented and said we could try one more thing, but he'd hafta go to the shop. Back in about 15 mins, he brought a BRAND NEW modem. Same model as the previous three, but not a refurb. It worked!! Problem solved. End of story. (which is true)

What were you saying about refurbs? ;)

nb

Reply to
notbob

Refurbed junk is still junk. Some stuff should never be sold, new or refurbed - and if something has an intermittent problem it is very likely the refurb process won;t find and fix the problem. A lot of what is sold as refurb is just stuff that had damaged packaging or has been dropped in shipping do the manufacturer will not puit on full warranty.

Reply to
clare